Just bought Onkyo TX-NR 609 - should I go for 2 Subwoofers

kbarnak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi All, can I ask for your advice?

As you can see I've just upgraded to 609, do you think it's worth buying another Subwoofer ? I have a KEF 2001 speaker set up including the KEF subwoofer. If so can someone please advise as to the correct wiring from Subwoofer to the Onkyo. At the moment I have a Red & White wire plugged into Subwoofer ie Line in Right and Line in Left both going into Onkyo but Onkyo tell me that two Subwoofers can be plugged into it. At the moment the two Subwoofer connections on the Onkyo are taken up with the Right Line / Left Line in plus??

Your help and advice would be very much appreciated.

As you can see I'm a bit lost - I've only just found out that using the Optical connections from SKY HD to Onkyo gives better sound.

michael hoy

Hi,

Use one subwoofer cable from each output on the amp and plug the other end into the line input on the sub.

If it has two inputs you can just use one (usually the left) or purchase a Y splitter as picture below.

image_mini

Depending on your layout two subs will give a better balance for the bass.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
moonfly said:
duaplex said:
Depends how big your room is, only larger rooms really need two Sub's. A single sub in most cases is sufficient.
Room size and how many subs you need arent that related, and the main benefits from adding a second sub dont come from increased output levels (its only 6db more max output anyway), but from better integration and an improved bass response in room. If your sub is only average anyway, the chances are a single better sub would be just as loud as the older pair anyway, but also sound better to boot.

I agree. IMO. One sub that costs twice as much, will give better results (unless you have a very difficult room).

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
Depends how big your room is, only larger rooms really need two Sub's. A single sub in most cases is sufficient.
Room size and how many subs you need arent that related, and the main benefits from adding a second sub dont come from increased output levels (its only 6db more max output anyway), but from better integration and an improved bass response in room. If your sub is only average anyway, the chances are a single better sub would be just as loud as the older pair anyway, but also sound better to boot.

FWIW, I always advocate the use of a pair of subs over a single, the benefits are well worth it IMO

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Given the sub in question, I would certainly opt for a sub upgrade of running a pair in this case. Unless you have actually measured you in room response to determine how much benefit you can actually gain from a second sub, then considering that option is a bit blind anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts