Just a thought...

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
While flicking through this months mag. I found myself wondering (and often do every month) What are the films the screen shots are taken from in the MANY TV REVIEWS. Find myself guessing and then finding out later when the film is released. Any chance there could be a wee box with the film title in it. Or maybe i have missed it........

Thanks

John

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
john1000000boy said:
While flicking through this months mag. I found myself wondering (and often do every month) What are the films the screen shots are taken from in the MANY TV REVIEWS. Find myself guessing and then finding out later when the film is released.

That's the bit that really annoys me, they're supposed to be shots of the TVs in action, yet they're using footage from films that haven't even been released in the cinema. I find that somewhat ridiculous, use a new Blu-ray release, sure but unreleased films is daft, you might as well put up a big banner saying "THIS ISN'T REAL!".

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Good idea re saying which film/TV show the stills are from - i'll put that to the design team.

Re choice of images - we have access to picture libraries for all the new and upcoming film/TV releases and our designers choose the best shots.

In an ideal world (and it occasionally happens!) we find a film that's a massive blockbuster hit AND that we have access to the, say, 10 superb shots we need across a TV supertest plus the front cover of the mag. More often than not we're limited to a handful (if that) of decent stills, and we'll use them in First Tests and elsewhere.

You'd be amazed how frustrating/hard it can be to get the perfect shot from the best film - film PRs sometimes just don't *get* it!

And they're not meant to be pictures of the sets in action, really - they're just far more interesting to look at than a blank screen!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
And they're not meant to be pictures of the sets in action, really - they're just far more interesting to look at than a blank screen!

Yeah I get that, but it just jars with me logically, I read the review, look at the picture and my brain says "Well you clearly didn't test it with THAT film!", which spoils the idea of the testing process in my mind. That wouldn't happen with a Blu-ray release as it's more believable.

I appreciate I'm probably very much alone in this!

On the attribution side of things, I'm mildly surprised the studios/distributors don't insist on a namecheck in return for using their images anyway?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Only typically the more copyright-obsessed (Harry Potter franchise springs to mind) insist on credit for stills from the promo library, though different picture libararies have different rules. Oddly enough, you're far more likely to have to give credit for a shot you've bought than one you've downloaded free!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I assumed that you got paid by the film companies for advertising their up and coming movies.

Surely somebody will pay you for an image that you put on the front of the mag and on loads of pages within?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nope - not a bean. What you do get is lots of lovely free images that would (and do if/when you have to buy them separately) cost a lot of money to buy usage rights for from an image library.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Good idea re saying which film/TV show the stills are from - i'll put that to the design team.

Re choice of images - we have access to picture libraries for all the new and upcoming film/TV releases and our designers choose the best shots.

In an ideal world (and it occasionally happens!) we find a film that's a massive blockbuster hit AND that we have access to the, say, 10 superb shots we need across a TV supertest plus the front cover of the mag. More often than not we're limited to a handful (if that) of decent stills, and we'll use them in First Tests and elsewhere.

You'd be amazed how frustrating/hard it can be to get the perfect shot from the best film - film PRs sometimes just don't *get* it!

Good good Clare. Its quite funny trying to think what the films could possibly be...

Thanks

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts