Junk DVD Player VS. Denon 1740

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi.....

My 'old' Sony DVD Player ($79, 2years ago) is dying. I need to replace it in a few days. My humble 'system': CRT Sony television, Denon 1907 Receiver, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 complete speaker system (center, L, R, back, and Sub (SW150)). I don't plan to replace my television until the end of 2010.

My family like to listen to CD music.

I always admire Denon DVD player, but never actually listen to one. With my television (S-video being the best available connection), I don't think any DVD players will make much differences. But in term of music, Denon DVD player maybe better than my old DVD player.

I am considering buying the Denon 1740 DVD Player. My wife wants me to buy a newer version of my old Sony DVD Player.

The question: Do you think $175 Denon 1740 is that much of an improvement in term of music compared to $80 Newer Sony DVD player??

Thank you.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
familyman goes music:
Hi.....

My 'old' Sony DVD Player ($79, 2years ago) is dying. I need to replace it in a few days. My humble 'system': CRT Sony television, Denon 1907 Receiver, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 complete speaker system (center, L, R, back, and Sub (SW150)). I don't plan to replace my television until the end of 2010.

My family like to listen to CD music.

I always admire Denon DVD player, but never actually listen to one. With my television (S-video being the best available connection), I don't think any DVD players will make much differences. But in term of music, Denon DVD player maybe better than my old DVD player.

I am considering buying the Denon 1740 DVD Player. My wife wants me to buy a newer version of my old Sony DVD Player.

The question: Do you think $175 Denon 1740 is that much of an improvement in term of music compared to $80 Newer Sony DVD player??

Thank you.

With the rest of your kit, I don't think it will make any difference really. If you had a £300 stereo amp, you might hear an improvement (or even the Sony being better).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 1940 is a much better player than the 1740, so go for that one if you can. The picture quality on even a 23" LCD was better on the 1940. If I were you though, I'd put that money towards a half decent Bluray player, as it's DVD performance will be at least that of the 1740.

A

Anonymous

Picture-wise, I think I agree. A lot of good review on 1940. But, since my television is very very old (9 years old).... I don't think I will see that much difference.

It is an improvement in sound that I am looking for. I heard that 1940 is not as good as 1930. Do you think 1940 is better than 1740 sound-wise?? A lot of good review on 1740.... and a lot of 'less than good' review on 1940......sound-wise.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
familyman goes music:
Picture-wise, I think I agree. A lot of good review on 1940. But, since my television is very very old (9 years old).... I don't think I will see that much difference.

It is an improvement in sound that I am looking for. I heard that 1940 is not as good as 1930. Do you think 1940 is better than 1740 sound-wise?? A lot of good review on 1740.... and a lot of 'less than good' review on 1940......sound-wise.

If you are planning to get a new screen in 2010, it would be advisable to get a half decent dvd player for picture as well as sound. As I said before, I don't think the source will make a massive difference in your set up for cds, therefore I would get a bluray player and one with multi channel connectivity for your receiver. This way you will get a better picture than what you are used to, my Sony BDPS550 is better upscaling dvds than my old Denon 1940, and you will get hardly any difference in sound for cds. You will also be able to get HD audio with blurays on your system.

A

Anonymous

Do you think I can connect DVD player with Component cables to the receiver (Denon 1907) while I connect the receiver to TV with S-Video??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
familyman goes music:
Do you think I can connect DVD player with Component cables to the receiver (Denon 1907) while I connect the receiver to TV with S-Video??

No. I doubt that you can. You would be better off using scart or s-video straight to the dvd/bd player and then digital cable from amp to dvd.

A

Anonymous

I read somewhere that HD Audio can't go through digital cable. It has to go through HDMI cable or thru composite cable connecting each speaker lines.

Anyway...... it is already off the topic. My original concern was how to improve the sound of my 'system'. It seems that there is no 'under $200' solution. I guess I better go with a cheaper newer version of my old Sony DVD Player. After a while, maybe add a CD Player.

Thank you for your opinion, Gerrardasnails, and FrankHarvey.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
familyman goes music:
I read somewhere that HD Audio can't go through digital cable. It has to go through HDMI cable or thru composite cable connecting each speaker lines.

Anyway...... it is already off the topic. My original concern was how to improve the sound of my 'system'. It seems that there is no 'under $200' solution. I guess I better go with a cheaper newer version of my old Sony DVD Player. After a while, maybe add a CD Player.

Thank you for your opinion, Gerrardasnails, and FrankHarvey.

You are right - I mentioned earlier getting a BD player that has multi channel connection. You could then use three pairs of stereo interconnects to get HD audio to your Denon amp. This would obviously improve the sound of your system. My BD player would be a match for the Denon or your Sony with cds also.

TRENDING THREADS