Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently got a different disc spinner and it has made my system a whole different animal, so have been listening to a few of my faves again.

Been really taken in by this album and since ive listened to it again i find myself transfixed to my stereo, deeply frowning when the mrs interupts Ian's tones.

The only problem with this is im now starting to feel pretty miserible, have to have a break and listen to some more uplifting tones now and again (some new order prehaps lol)

Thinking of getting into vinyl and buying some old originals of the era.

Anyone else share my view on this utterly depressing masterpiece??

A

Anonymous

I completely agree that this is a brilliant album. Have you seen the new DVD 'Control'? Well worth a watch. Try not to get too depressed!

A

Anonymous

Managed to see that at the cinema, best film ive seen in years.

As a lad that grew up in the areas covered in the film just made it a little bit more magic for me.

Will pick it up on dvd at some point, defo worth a rewatch.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mrbungle"]Thinking of getting into vinyl and buying some old originals of the era.[/quote]

They certainly do sound better on vinyl. Or maybe that's just my mind/ear playing tricks on me as I revisit those fifth form days of Joy Division, The Durutti Column and A Certain Ratio. Those miserable Mancs were the bees knees for awhile and then I really got into The Smiths and things lightened up considerably

![quote user="mrbungle"]Anyone else share my view on this utterly depressing masterpiece??[/quote]

Quintessential long coat, young man music. That said, I still shudder and shake with dystopian dread when I hear She's Lost Control or Atmosphere. Best of all though is the version of Ceremony on Still.

A

Anonymous

Nothing makes me feel and think like some of the joy division stuff, quite unique.

I love the fact it takes time and effort to break into the mindset to appreciate them, but once your there its utterly consuming. Starting to appreciate Closer alot more after giving it time, Decades and Colony are superb.

Well when money allows il take the plunge into the geeky world of vinyl, im sure plenty of people here will guide me in the right direction
emotion-21.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mrbungle"]Decades and Colony are superb[/quote]

The sounds of Curtis and co, splitting their own atoms.

[quote user="mrbungle"]Well when money allows il take the plunge into the geeky world of vinyl,[/quote]

I'm old enough to have vast wodges of the Factory catalogue on vinyl from when it was first released and sad enough to have duplicated lots of it on CD too. I've got to say that, by and large, it sounds so much better on vinyl. Well okay, not the Stockholm Monsters, who would sound cack on bog roll or SACD, but certainly Closer and Unknown Pleasures. In that neck of the woods, musically speaking, my current favourites are two 12inch singles: Together by Durutti Column and Round & Round by New Order. Amazing sounds abound.

[quote user="mrbungle"]im sure plenty of people here will guide me in the right direction
emotion-21.gif
[/quote]
Depends how much you want to spend on the deck and phono amp but the records themselves can be picked up quite cheaply and usually sound great once they've been cleaned.

A

Anonymous

Ive read a few books on JD and Factory, alot is said of Durutti Column and A Certain Ratio, must investigate them.....

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mrbungle"]alot is said of Durutti Column and A Certain Ratio, must investigate them.....[/quote]

I've got to say I don't play much ACR these days but I still love Vini Reilly's (aka The Durutti Column) guitar playing. He releases mini-masterpieces every year or so and tours regularly. Saw him in Leeds a couple of years ago and it was truly moving and mesmerising. Also, his more poppy playing on Morrissey's first solo album, Viva Hate, is a wondrous thing to behold. Shame Mozzer and him had a fall out.

Presume you've seen Michael Winterbottom's 24 Hour Party People film from a few years back. It's a highly watchable tragi-comic take on the whole Factory story and it's legacy.

A

Anonymous

Oh yeah 24 hour party people is a classic, watched more than once.

Will keep a eye out for Vini if he ever comes local to the midlands heh heh :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts