John Lewis, what a nice bunch of people.....

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Finally purchased a new TV yesterday. I went for the Panasonic TX-32LMD70.

John Lewis price matched my local Richer Sounds and were friendly, polite, and best of all, they didnt tell me that the Panasonic was no good and I should by a LG or a Samsung.

I called the price match people on Monday, then, rather than wait a week for a letter I called again yesterday to what was happening. A nice lady said the match had been agreed, gave me a reference number and put the TV on hold. Popped down to Bluewater last night, paid for it and picked it up from the warehouse. Every single person I spoke to was both helpful and happy, and not a word about LG's, Samsungs or that I was buying a rubbish TV.

How very refreshing!!!

Hat's off to John Lewis, it seems I am most likley to buy my next TV from them too. Shame that Richer Sounds were more concerned about selling me an LG or a Samsung (and thats fine if they belive thay are better sets than the Panasonic and the Sony) as I was happy to buy the Panasonic from them had they not put me off so much.

Have yet to get the set out of the box, but if anyone wants to know what its like feel free to ask
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

if John Lewis told you the panasonic was rubbish, they would be lieing to you...

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

He said JL did not say the set was rubbish. Richer Sounds had and that put him off buying there. JL seems to have once again done a fine job pleasing their customers.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

i know JL are very good, what i meant was if they said it was rubbish, they'd be lieing

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
And thats just the thing that put me off buying from Richer Sounds, and i had even been in the store to look at sets.

When they said that both the Sony and the Panasonic were, and I quote 'Old and overpriced' I was concerned that:

a, they were not quite the experts they advirtise to be

b, What Hi Fi were wrong about these sets even after 32+ years of testing (obviously not)

c, they were actually lieing to me so i would spend my hard earned money on the set that gave them the most profit.

The stupid thing is, by behaving in this manner I didnt buy anything from them at all. One would assume that selling something is better than selling nothing?

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
I have always liked Richer Sounds until they tried to talk me out of buying a Panasonic or Sony, they only wanted to sell me the Sharp lcd so thats another customer they have lost, I will consider John Lewis when I come to buy I think Richer Sounds are as bad as Currys and Comet now, DO NOT LISTERN TO THE CUSTOMER, SELL THEM WHATEVER YOU NEED TO SELL AT THAT TIME!

A

Anonymous

John Lewis(and Waitrose) staff are a cut above those found in most other large shops. They should be - they all own a stake in the company ie. they are all Partners. However, don't dismiss the smaller indy. I got my Pioneer from some very nice people in Pinner at a great price plus 5yrs cover. No doubt JL would have matched it but they stand a good chance of remaining in business even without my costom.

For those old enough to remember, Richer Sounds was the place to go for your first HiFi( not so much TV's then). Julian Richer was a Richard Branson/Felix Dennis sort of figure, just on a smaller scale. Stock was ex-demo, discontinued or just plain cheap, but the staff were all helpful, knowledgeable ex-student types who sold many a person their first 'proper' HiFi set up.

Ahhh. To be young again!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="david1997"]but the staff were all helpful, knowledgeable ex-student types who sold many a person their first 'proper' HiFi set up.[/quote]

Then Simon Lucas went to work for them and it all went horribly wrong

emotion-18.gif

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The funny thing is with Richer Sounds is they more often than not nowdays dont offer a decent deal anymore. For example I was in their Kingston branch mid-last year just having a goosey at the DVD players on offer as having just upgraded the old non HD Plasma to a HD one I wanted to upgrade my Pioneer Dv757Ai to something of a simular calibre in the modern world. The ene result was the guy recomended the Denon 1730. What I thought? a sub £200 compared to a £800 if be it old one? End result was I went to see my local Audio T (where I should have gone in the first place) Told them what I wanted to do and had a deal with them and bagged myself their Ex-Demo Denon DVD3930 inc. 2 years warrantry for £500. Happy days!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Then Simon Lucas went to work for them [/quote]

Seems a tad harsh. He was good as 2nd Tests Editor on this very Mag. What's he doing now?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe he should tell them to listen and help thier customers instead of thinking we are all dumb
emotion-2.gif

I had the cash in my pocket and the seats down in my car! talk about messing up a sale! And I bought my first 'proper' high fi from them too.

Bless em

A

Anonymous

Hi Nick, can you tell me more about the "price match people" Tel number ?? as I've just reserved a Panasonic TX32LXD700 from JL . Their price is £849 which includes a 5 year guarantee which was good I thought. Did your TV still have the Free 5 year guarantee or did you give that up for a cheaper price??

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
I just called my local JL store which is Bluewater and told the nice lady who answered that I wanted to buy a TV and could they price match. She put me through to another department who asked for the model and where I had seen it cheaper. It had to be an instore price. Gave them the price and the store (Richer Sounds) and they said they would check it out and send me a letter which I could then take into the store.

I waited a day and called up again, politely saying that I was making plans for the weekend and did they have any news. They said it had been agreed and gave me a reference number and reserved the set for me. The JL price on line was £599, Richer Sounds web price was £449 and £499 with 5 year warranty. JL said that Richer Sounds 'in store' price was £499 and would match that. I was happy with that and yes its has the 5 year warranty.

Hope that helps you
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Buckweed"]
Hi Nick, can you tell me more about the "price match people" Tel number ?? as I've just reserved a Panasonic TX32LXD700 from JL . Their price is £849 which includes a 5 year guarantee which was good I thought. Did your TV still have the Free 5 year guarantee or did you give that up for a cheaper price??
[/quote]

The 5 year warranty is free regardless of the price match.

If you didn't price match and find it cheaper locally (within 8 miles of ANY store, not just your local??) in stock elsewhere, JL will still price match for up to 30(?) days after you got it and refund the difference!!

You may need to phone the JL store that is closest to where you saw the lower price, if you see what I mean?

A

Anonymous

Joking aside. It seems that RS have lost their way big time. Back in the 80's they were the only shop I could find selling HI-FI that knew what they were talking about AND could do you a decent deal. Now neither seems to be true!

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
I agree stiggy.

I know times are hard and the pressure is on and I fully understand any business trying to push the product whic makes the most money. But pushing them to the point that you lie and blow the opportunity of selling anything at all is a bit bemusing.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stiggy"]
Joking aside. It seems that RS have lost their way big time. Back in the 80's they were the only shop I could find selling HI-FI that knew what they were talking about AND could do you a decent deal. Now neither seems to be true!
[/quote] Ahhh the 80's thoses were the days! For me back then it was allways a trip to Tottenham Ct Rd and haggle out a deal with all the shops till you got the best deal possible. I can rember as if it were yesterday a Young teenage DJ KRIME going up there pockets full of cash to get my first pair of Technics 1200's and lugging them back to leafey Surrey on the tube and train, GOOD TIMES! And boy do I still love vinyl over any CD.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
I think with Richer as with many other chains it all depends on the branch. I got my DAV-IS10 from RS here in beautiful Croydon just before Christmas. I'd checked around to find the cheapest price I could find on the internet (which was Amazon IIRC, they'd just dropped their online price to match another online seller), printed it out and drove down to RS. When I got there I'd forgotten my 'proof' but asked if they'd beat that price anyway, and they did.

They then gave me a hand to my car with it (despite me warning them I'd had to park some distance away). Nothing too much trouble and smiles all the way. I've since been in for something else that they didn't have in stock, but rather than try and sell me something they had, they gave me the details of another store they thought might have it.

But, I agree, John Lewis are hard to beat for customer service - never had a bad experience at JL. Interesting too, that a company run on almost Marxist lines is (far) more successful in business than their shareholder-owned capitalist retailer rivals. Ooh, little bit of politics there. I'll get me coat.

A

Anonymous

Well thanks for the info Nick, have do some phoning round, I can get it cheaper but you add on a 5y G and the price goes way pass the JL deal. So looks like JL here I come.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

I can never find anything in R.S that I actually want to buy! But I do remember the good ole 80's when they gave excellent advice and were always the first place you considered for your budget separates. I'm not so keen to shop in there any longer...the store in Notts is small and I always feel under pressure! Hey and the Sony Centre is just across the road ;)...with J.L about four shops down....so lots of choice :) Talking about good stores I must also mention Superfi in Notts..they are always very helpful and have some great products.

A

Anonymous

Well went into JL on Saturday and sure enough the staff were very helpful, showed me many of the features of the TV and did not push me into making a sale. 20 mins later with mind made up sold to the man with a big smile on his face !!!
emotion-2.gif
So picked it up from the 3rd floor car park pick-up point.. but a word of warning make sure you have space in your car as the TV has to be kept upright !! Got it home and hooked it up to my new Sony RDRHXD970B Dvd-Hard Drive Recorder 250gb and wow great picture. Put the kids movie on "Cars" and the picture well it was just amazing.

One very happy dude
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Buckweed"]but a word of warning make sure you have space in your car as the TV has to be kept upright !![/quote]

No it doesn't!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts