JMLabs Chorus 706S to match with Marantz PM7200?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Last time I posted regarding the brightness of my MA RS1 here and indeed I had verygood help from you guys and confirmed many have experienced the same with MA RS1. I saw a verygood offer here in my place for JMLabs Chorus 706S. Anybody heard this JMLabs Chorus 706S? How it is compared to MA RS1? Are they considered neutral? or laidback sound? I am considering changing my RS1 to a different speaker as I wanted an all rounder speaker that will sound good on most type of music.. RS1 seems to be too polite and detailed for some pop/rock songs that is sometimes bright, thus tiring in the long run ( subjectively in my opinion
emotion-1.gif
)

How is it sounding compared to other speaker, to which speaker JMLabs Chorus 706S is close to in terms of sonic characteristics? How do they compare to Dynaudios?

If converted the offer to me for this used item is 123GBP (330 SG $). I have Marantz PM7200 to match with the Chorus 706S. Anybody could give me their opinion/ experience with this matching?

Thanks in advance

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
both of them sound a bit bright and lacking the bottom end to my ears. I haven't heard them long though, just a few minutes, not my cup a tea but that doesn't mean the Chorus wouldn't float you boat! and for that price....cheap.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Thaiman, for low end I have a sub to compliment the bass. Anyone heard JMLabs Chorus 706S? How do they compare to MA RS1s?

A

Anonymous

Thanks gpi, I decided to keep my RS1 for now because yesterday I did an hour of listening test to my favorite tracks. I never listened long yet using with my newly acquired used Marantz PM7200. Driven by Marantz PM7200, the RS1 became musical. For me this sound is what I am looking for, enough detail and enough warm. I am a fan more of metallic tweeters because for me it gives closeness to guitar real perfomance ( I listen a lot of acoustics recording
emotion-1.gif
). Last time I heard some speakers with soft dome tweeters but I found the presentation is dull and uninvolving, lacking the crispiness - not my cup of tea.

PM7200 really minimized the brightness of my RS1. Now, added bonus is the bass and midrange. In my room when I was using t-amp sometimes it tends to be boomy causing my ears to became uncomfortable, but now I love how the PM7200 changed the bass of my RS1, it makes the presentation more warmer and softer. The voice moves backward and became more refined and focused. The reviews are correct this Marantz amp is warm and tube like.. It made my RS1 sounded bigger than before, and it's now more balanced and much more musical than before. I noticed I lost some details and speed that t-amp produces but I don't miss those details causing me listening fatigue.. I think, my next step now is to find the right CDP for this combi..

Any suggestion for my setup? Appreciate your help..

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="khian"]
Thanks gpi, I decided to keep my RS1 for now because yesterday I did an hour of listening test to my favorite tracks. I never listened long yet using with my newly acquired used Marantz PM7200. Driven by Marantz PM7200, the RS1 became musical. For me this sound is what I am looking for, enough detail and enough warm. I am a fan more of metallic tweeters because for me it gives closeness to guitar real perfomance ( I listen a lot of acoustics recording
emotion-1.gif
). Last time I heard some speakers with soft dome tweeters but I found the presentation is dull and uninvolving, lacking the crispiness - not my cup of tea.

PM7200 really minimized the brightness of my RS1. Now, added bonus is the bass and midrange. In my room when I was using t-amp sometimes it tends to be boomy causing my ears to became uncomfortable, but now I love how the PM7200 changed the bass of my RS1, it makes the presentation more warmer and softer. The voice moves backward and became more refined and focused. The reviews are correct this Marantz amp is warm and tube like.. It made my RS1 sounded bigger than before, and it's now more balanced and much more musical than before. I noticed I lost some details and speed that t-amp produces but I don't miss those details causing me listening fatigue.. I think, my next step now is to find the right CDP for this combi..

[/quote]

Odd posting ... first nay then yay. First impressions are usually right in hifi when it comes to harshness. If it sounds that way initially it will most likely annoy you for a long time coming.

I can't help thinking you're the kind of guy that buys 'bargains' without listening first but maybe I'm wrong. I would have thought your 7200 is the least likely partner to make the MA's sound half decent. Polite, not much drive and rather bright too. It has decent treble though so there may be some synergy and it certainly is an upgrade to your T-amp.

If you feel like the Monitor Audios are letting the side down again in the future perhaps consider going to a good dealer and listen to some complete systems. This will give you an idea of what is possible within whatever budget you have rather then adding random stuff but I do acknowledge that there are bargains you can't always audition first.

A

Anonymous

hi drummerman, thanks for the suggestion..regarding buying bargains, yes I did not hear PM7200 before but the MA RS - I did audition them (RS1 and RS6) a lot since it's very convenient in my place to audition. It was paired with tube amp and tube cdp when I first heard them and I liked them. On my fist posting, I mentioned brightness but only on *some* pop/rock recordings (in my opinion) and it was only using t-amp.. I only tested only 1 or 2 songs when I got the PM7200 last Saturday because I had no time to do it.. until I did 1 hours listening in my room last night. then that was the time I really liked what improvement I have over the t-amp. Again, all of this is all based from my ears
emotion-1.gif

Thanks again for advice and help. Im thankful we have forums like this for beginners like me. I think it will be best for me to bring my PM7200 and RS1 to some audio shops here

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="khian"]
emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

Odd posting ... first nay then yay. First impressions are usually right in hifi when it comes to harshness. If it sounds that way initially it will most likely annoy you for a long time coming.

I can't help thinking you're the kind of guy that buys 'bargains' without listening first but maybe I'm wrong. I would have thought your 7200 is the least likely partner to make the MA's sound half decent. Polite, not much drive and rather bright too. It has decent treble though so there may be some synergy and it certainly is an upgrade to your T-amp.

If you feel like the Monitor Audios are letting the side down again in the future perhaps consider going to a good dealer and listen to some complete systems. This will give you an idea of what is possible within whatever budget you have rather then adding random stuff but I do acknowledge that there are bargains you can't always audition first.
[/quote]

I'd love you to hear mine in my system and change your mind about that.
emotion-3.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts