Jazz FM broadcast quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone noticed how bad the sound quality is on Jazz FM both on DAB and Sky 0129 ? I contacted them and got an apathetic reply - they couldn't be bothered.... I see DAB is down to 60 kbps and in Mono , is this anything to do with the problem ? Most stations are using 128kbps and in stereo

How much lower can the bitrate get before it beomes unlistenable ? Maybe the station is being run down , they've lost several good producers and brought in unknowns

dave

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
128kbps AAC here on 'TuneIn Radio Pro'.

I'm not a fan but just thought I'd check.

Suggest you play it from the internet or wirelessly via your smartphone or tablet.

wilco

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to figure out where this is all going. I posted a comment (Dumbed down DAB) back in 2011. I emailed Jazz FM and as you did and received a poor response trying to justify how I would be better with more info at 80k mono (at that time) instead of 128k stereo...Eh! I noticed on a recent scan that a some other stations are low bit rate mono.. Seems to be a waste of time and effort producing quality stereo tuners.

Suppose the main thing is that the adverts can be heard loud and clear on a DAB box playing in more kitchens. Maybe we need a What LoFi section in the magazine Guess DAB + will be out of the question now.

I know some folks will come on and say there are internet options. I have tried this wireless from pc to rDac but would prefer the convenince of the tuner.

Really feels like a con.

dave6453 said:
Has anyone noticed how bad the sound quality is on Jazz FM both on DAB and Sky 0129 ? I contacted them and got an apathetic reply - they couldn't be bothered.... I see DAB is down to 60 kbps and in Mono , is this anything to do with the problem ? Most stations are using 128kbps and in stereo

How much lower can the bitrate get before it beomes unlistenable ? Maybe the station is being run down , they've lost several good producers and brought in unknowns

dave

On the Sky box the SQ is okay, but what irritates me is how much volume you lose. Switch to other stations (Absolute, Solar, Gold...) on the SB and difference is pretty stark.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
It is dire quality! Pretty much given up on it. Still in my favourites but I will be removing it. The downside of DAB is inescapably evident with stations like this. Something must be getting them out of bed in the morning.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
.... well they seem to be about to fix the DAB sound quality issue at Jazz FM for people outside London :

"Jazz FM will cease transmission on DAB across the entire of the UK on January 1st, but will then only be available on DAB Digital Radio receivers in Greater London."

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
The "Birdsong" station that has replaced Jazz fm on DAB is great sound quality, although the wood pidgeon does go on a bit ....

It's very relaxing when listening in bed, gets you to sleep pretty quickly.

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
http://adsi-e-01-cr.sharp-stream.com:8000/jazzfmprem.aac <<new 128aac mono stream has replaced the 128aac stream from previously,seems they are cutting back and dont want the likes of Helen Mayhews Dinner jazz to sound near CD stereo. Recently they have also been bigging up their listen again streams as now being twice the quality when in fact only 128k mp3 which is inferior to the 128aac stream they have removed today!

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
http://tx.sharp-stream.com/icecast.php?i=jazzfmprem.aac <<appears that the stream was mistakingly in mono and following reporting the stream to the streamers it has been put in stereo at 128aac, Jazz fm are not advertising this stream like previously as word is more expensive to stream,so they are possibly going to make it a subscription stream

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts