What sources do you listen to?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've just been thinking in this age of convieneice where streaming is becoming increasingly popular, downloading is the norm and oddly vinyl is cool again and growing in popularity while the compact disc seems to be losing it's flavour with the masses. What sources and formats do you still use in your main hifi system today?

I'm currently listening to some jazz on an FM broadcast through a vintage NAD tuner, very lovely the sound is too! I could no doubt stream this broadcast, but as yet I don't know what station it is! I stumbled across it whilst scrolling down the backlit frequency scale (remeber those)? Without using this basic FM tuner I wouldn't of just randomly discovered a great jazz track and then shazamed it and bought the CD on Amazon. So I clearly still enjoy FM and CD. I play a lot of CDs usually when I listen to full albums and I'm starting to build a very small SACD collection. It's a shame this didn't take off, it really does sound very good.

The only streaming I do on my hifi is with youtube via my smart TV. Vevo music videos really are excellent quality with both pictures and sound. Also I stream digital radio occasionally via the iPod. I do download the odd chart track from iTunes every now and then and my CD collection is ripped to my iPod which is docked on an Arcam drDock for when I want the convenience of a long and varied playlist.

The occasional live concert on DVD or Bluray is a pleasure every so often too.

So what sources do you chaps mainly use in your systems today? I see so many threads regarding streaming and blutooth etc... Oh and of course the LP section of the forums. Do you think the CD is dying a slow and drawn out death, or is it practically dead? How many people don't even buy music anymore and have switched to just streaming from spotify? It might be interesting to read the differing responces.

A

Anderson

Living room

HTPC for downloading new music from torrent sites and then uploading to Google Music.

PS4 with Music Unlimited streaming service for Mrs and kidz.

When mobile

Mobile with Google Music app to stream my tunez.

Will be adding

[font="ProximaNova-Semibold, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]Either a Chromecast and/or Sonos Connect for the living room. I think for sanity if I add the Sonos then I'll also be subscribing to Spotify. Speaking of streaming services I'm currently using Netflix, Google Music and Music Unlimited. I'd like to add Prime and Spotify but I'm going to hold of on that until April.[/font]

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have recently bought the Sonos Connect and will admit I'm hooked by it's ease of use and all round convenience, but it will never replace my CDP.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

daveh75

Radio from terrestrial, satellite, FM and DAB, via Humax freeview/freesat boxes, Onkyo TX-NR818 and a Pure evoke.

M/C audio from DVD-A, SACD, DTS and BD-A (the only physical media I still bother with) via an Oppo BDP-93

Streaming from CD rips (mostly FLAC) from my NAS, Google Play Music, Deezer, Spotify,iPlayer Radio, NPR, tunein, DI Radio, SoundCloud, Mixcrate, YouTube, Boiler Room and dancetrippin tv and probably more I'm forgetting via Sonos, Roku, Raspberry Pi, Chromecast, PC/Chromebook and on the move via a Oneplus One or Nexus5.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I listen to CD - imo the quality is really really improving now. The quality of the cds I bought towards the end of last year sound amazing.

The resolution and detail - you would need to hear it, it cannot be 'explained'.

Will listen to YouTube on my phone via headphones when searching for new music. But still consider streaming services a con (music ans film) and for now refuse to get involved.

Till it's one quality suits all they'll not get my cash - why would anyone pay a premium for higher sample rates?

No longer listen to radio or vinyl or tape at all.

This 'resurgence' of vinyl is funny imo. The whole cost around it is hilarious.
But have to admit the other day in HMV seeing those 12x12 inch sleeves with what looks like giant art, did make me smile.....they are so cool.

But more or less exclusive CD listener here.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
iTunes via my 2012 Mac Mini...

Into my Cyrus 8DAC system via Airplay and an ATV3 connected to the 8DAC via optical - Livng room system

My desktop system will be the optical out on the Mac Mini into a Fiio D3 DAC and into an ARCAM Alpha 5 amp and speakers yet to be chosen

Dont do physical sources any more much to the wife's chagrin :D

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Streaming mostly.

Now I've moved my CD transport to the room where my CDs are actually stored, I do make the effort to play the CD, particularly the recent purchases.

I do a touch of internet radio and listen to a couple of eclectic channels, note down the artists I discover / like the sound of. Then I seek out the CD.

I have a Mac Mini and Audirvana Plus. But all my coax connections sound better than the USB (or the streamer / CD are better sources)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
In my music room 95% of listening is CD based using my hifi system. The rest is occasionally using internet radio via my Onkyo 609 through the HC system. Generally most days I will sit and listen to a CD or two.

However, it's the Sonos Play 1 in our kitchen that gets most use. Controlled by our desktop computer that sits in a small room off the kitchen, we listen to several favourite internet radio stations. My wife has really taken to the Sonos and would like another Play 1 upstairs in a spare bedroom where she does the ironing.

I would like to get a Spotify account next, but although I can use it with the Sonos and the Onkyo 609, I would really only listen properly if sat in my music room listening via my hifi, or sat at my desktop computer. So the options I have considered is either a Sonos Connect amp, or some new desktop (possibly small actives) speakers in my small computer room. My wife has a ipad but I could never prize it from her fingers - so I would need a device to control Spotify via Sonos sat in my listening chair. After that I would get a NAS, I've got some music already stored on my computer which can be played by the Sonos, Onkyo 609 and my Sony BRP.

But like others have said, my CDP will be staying put for now, however the only thing really holding back my move towards streaming is the available funds - I want a new amp first *smile*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
iTunes, iPlayer etc. all via AirPlay from Mac Mini, iPad Mini and iPhone to Marantz M-CR603 (or headphones).

Many, many full CD storage boxes in a cupboard (I keep all the CDs I rip) and a CD player built-in to the Marantz. (Never used though.)

Occasional FM broadcast. (I still get great reception and have a good FM roof aerial, so it would be a waste not to.)

I will be getting an iPad Mini 3 128GB soon. It will enable me to have my entire iTunes drama/comedy/documentary/spoken-word library (mostly ripped in 320K AAC VBR) synced without having to make selections and still have a decent amount of room for future downloads/rips. (My largest 'i' device at present is only 32GB.)

Music is not terribly important to me any more (about 20 percent - or less - of my listening content) and not a priority. I still have hundreds of music CDs - of all genres - that I have yet to rip. I'll do them when/if it ever matters enough to make the effort.

I sold my last turntable about 5 years ago (to a forum member). I finally sold the last (and best) of my LP collection last year - 98 LPs IIRC - to remove any temptation to get another turntable.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I paid 99 pence for 3 months subscription to spotify premium (they had a promotion on during december) ...

I work most of the day at home on my pc, so spotify plays most of the day .... it's connected to an old Pioneer Receiver and Wharfedale speakers ... I will upgrade this soon and may get an old Pioneer A400 amp and Mission 751 speakers. I will also get a cheapish DAC. I also enjoy Radio 6

My main Hifi System is rarely used now, but I have a huge collection of CD's and use the system from time to time. I also have a Tom Evans tweaked Pioneer receiver in my main setup and listen to FM occasionally...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I listen to internet radio via my Squeebox Touch which is connected to my Beresford Caiman DAC by a 5 mtr long Toslink cable as I have the SBT on the other side of the room near to my "listening" chair so I can read the screen without having to get up all the time. I can also listen to Spotify via the SBT using my Nexus tablet to control it.

When I want to use my laptop as a source (Youtube, Spotify etc.) I plug in a USB cable that's also connected to the Beresford DAC.

When I'm in the mood I also like to put on a LP or two to keep my hand in, but I'm nowhere near as besotted with vinyl or as convinced of it's superiority over digital as some on these boards. If I didn't already own a modest collection going back years there's no way I would start from scratch today.

And finally, my favourite source CD. I've tried but I can't live without a CD player, and I've found that my Creek Evo 2 CDP is about as good as it gets for me. I have approaching 1500 CD's ripped into FLAC files on my PC upstairs, and I can stream them via my SBT but after a brief dalliance, I soon lost interest in that method and just prefer to put on a CD instead. I actually like the look of my CDs and LPs on their shelves in the front room. The only CDs I've got rid of over the years are the hundreds of freebie Mojo, Uncut and various other free CDs that I've collected over the year, though I did rip everyone of them before getting rid.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Music only, almost entirely through Tidal via Airplay to my AVR. I've tweaked and tweaked with my set-up & it sounds awesome now. Piano & voice are particular standouts: such beauty & atmosphere from lumps of black metal.

I listen to a lot of jazz & piano, and I prefer the lower noise floor of streaming. I was just listening to Melanie Di Biasio's "All my love", which is a very very quiet spartan production. With my old CD I would have still heard the CD whirring away in the quieter bits.

I spent a few hours flagging my CD collection on Tidal, so they're all listed for me online now. Considerably quicker than ripping and indexing to a NAS. I've also transferred 80% of my playlists from Spotify too, so unless they can up their game, Spotify will be ditched in a month or two.

I might go the whole hog at some point and get a Bluesound Node so I'm wired directly from the router and free my iPad battery up.

Other main source is YouTube through my Roku 3. Particular favourite series are "Deezer Sessions" and "Wood & Wires"

If you've had a stressful day, I guarantee listening to "Wood & Wires - The Staves" will slow your heart rate and put a mellow smile on your face. I know, I've tried it and it works!

I do still spin the odd music Bluray (Neil Cowley Trio in Montreaux a particular favourite) and Bluray Audio (Rachmaninov's Piano Concertos 2 & 3; Beck "Sea Change").

i never got into downloading. Never owned an ipod. Just jumped from using CD's for 25 years straight to streaming and I'm relieved frankly. No NAS drives, backups, ripping, indexing etc etc. Glad I never got into that. Streaming Tidal does everything I want with a smaller box count in the lounge. Bliss.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Almost 100% CDs ripped to ALAC. The CDs are in the loft.

I occasionally use Spotify for checking out new music, but since 90% of my listening is classical I mostly pick up recommendations from reviews.

I'm tempted by Qobuz, but the fact is I like to own stuff.

I gave my daughter a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable for Xmas, and it's connected to the main system. This evening we were enjoying the LP remasters of Springsteen's early albums, which sound wonderful, even on a budget TT.

Matt

scene

I've ripped all my CDs losslessly and listen to them over one of the various sonos I have. Spotify figures heavily, especially when our and about, but also for new music before I buy the CD to rip. With Spotify being integrated into the sonos, it's really easy to use. Internet radio, either via the sonos or direct to my new Marantz amp. Digital radio a fair bit.
Vinyl, quite often over the sonos (I should be getting a kickback from them :) ), the TT is in the study and I listen there, and can stream it round the house.
I keep my CDs as backups for my nas these days...

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
FM/AM radio, internet radio, music streaming (Deezer / Nokia music), lossless FLACs (from own CDs). Played directly / indirectly using lots of different hardware and streaming combinations which I hope to rationalise at some point e.g. PC, tablet, phone, Squeezebox Touch, Sonos, DLNA, QNAP NMP, Excito B3 server, Logitech media server, Foobar 2000 PC player, Bluetooth apt-x.

No DAB, no CD, no vinyl, no HD streaming services.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
All my CD's are ripped to FLAC, the CD's and my Marantz CD player now sit in a cupboard.

Streamed from the Synology NAS to a UnitiQute 2. I listen to Radio Paradise @ 320 Kbps AAC and Pinguin Radio @ 320 Kbps MP3. Both are eclectic rock with Radio Paradise throwing in the occasional Jazz, Classical, World music and like someone who replied earlier, I note bands I like and then buy their CD's.

My collection has diversified a lot since listening to those radio streams.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It does seem that the majority are now streaming, but a lot of it is from ripped CD's. With the odd one or two still actually playing CDs. I do still heavily use my CD player, I don't ever want to take it out of my system.

I've just been given 3 cases of vinyl, so it looks like I'll have to get myself a turntable for the very first time!

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I pretty much listen to the lot!!

Up until last year i had ditched cd's and hadn't listened to vinyl for 15 years. I used an ipod classic 180gb which i transmitted to my hifi's using Audioengine 24bit transmitters, with Spotify transmitted from my laptops wirlessly using a HP Wireless Audio dongle. I also had 30,000 (mp3) tracks stored on a NAS drive which also transmitted to my Hifi using the laptop. I was pretty happy with the sound and convenience of the whole thing until...... I bought a Pioneer BDP and wondered what a cd would sound like on it - I tried Abbey Rd and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and was shocked at how much better they sounded than what I had become used to - blown away in fact. Since then I have bought a couple of Marantz cd players (one of which is the rather wonderful cd63kiMK2) and have rescued my cd's from the garage. I was also wondering about vinyl....so bought myself a Rega deck and although they are expensive have started to buy vinyl again after a long time out of the game - I love the whole vinyl experience, the ritual if you like, and the sound...i really can't put my finger on it but i love it, plus it forces me to listen to whole sides instead of skipping around from track to track and playlists and the like. Vinyl is so laidback and well, refined. I still use my ipod and Spotify for their convenience (in the car in the kitchen at work etc) but when i really want to listen, its cd and more and more vinyl for me.

SteveR750

On the subject of Spotify, I had a long chat with a chappie at Cambridge Audio last week as I had some USB driver and DM+ firmware issues I needed help with, and one of my questions at arose during that process was why was I still able to adjust the system volume when playing spotify, but J River it is bypassed and fixed at 100%.

It turns out that Spotify cannot be configured to bypass the K mixer, so perhaps not worth spending a lot of ££s on a DAC if it's your main source. I was plannnig ti try Tidal, and would hope that their media player would be configurable, otherwise it's not worth subscribing.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Almost 100% CDs ripped to ALAC. The CDs are in the loft.

I occasionally use Spotify for checking out new music, but since 90% of my listening is classical I mostly pick up recommendations from reviews.

I'm tempted by Qobuz, but the fact is I like to own stuff.

I gave my daughter a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable for Xmas, and it's connected to the main system. This evening we were enjoying the LP remasters of Springsteen's early albums, which sound wonderful, even on a budget TT.

Matt

I like to own my own stuff too, but since I signed up for Qobuz it has opened up an entirely new world to me. Loads of wonderful new things to explore and old favourites not heard for decades - all in CD quality and with the option to download to keep.

iMark

We play all sorts of discs: LP's, Bluray Audio, SACDs, Minidiscs.... We don't play CDs anymore. They are all ripped to ALAC and stored in the iTunes library and we don't have a dedicated CDP. We stream the library to the Airport Express and the DAC. We also stream Spotify Premium through the Airport Express. And we still listen to our FM tuner, signal provided by the cable company.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts