Jamo A102HCS5 to Onkyo 605 amp. What speaker cable ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am bit confuesed , i want to connect the Jamo speakers to the Onkyo 605 , i am considering getting the QED Silver Anniversary XT or Chord Carnival SilverScreen , which ever cable i choose , do both ends need to be terminated (banana) or just one of the ends to go into the onkyo 605 ? and the other end would just be bare wire ? and can anyone recomend a suboofer cable for the jamo sub ?

Thank you

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
You will need bare wire to connect your Jamo speakers (you cannot connect using spades or plugs). I would go for one end terminated with banana plugs - try www.audiovisualonline.com. They deliver for free and are very good. You could request either speaker cable with just one end terminated - it will save you money too. You can get subwoofer cables at the same place too. I have the same sub as you and would not go overboard on the sub cable - £15 maybe.

A

Anonymous

Hi mate i have your same speakers and i litterally got them this week i was gonna spend money on the same cables you sugesyed but the expense was gonna rise to the point of the cables costing as much as all the surround speakers so i got qed micro and have to say the resoult is very good it cost ne £80 for 35 meters im gonna get a better sub cable in the future and 2 more A102 to make it a 7.1

Juzzie Wuzzie

Did exactly the same as S3X - QED micro, banana plug terminations for five channels, bare wire for zone 2 (outside speakers) so that the amp can sit further back on the shelf (banana plugs for zone 2 were preventing this). QED 4m subwoofer cable. Not a wire to be seen, so the OCD is under control.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've narrowed down my choice to an Onkyo TX-SR606 and Jamo A102 HCS5 speakers.

I'm something of a home cinema newbie and I don't know what cabling to go for.

I've read so much that I'm not sure where I got this from, but I followed a link to this cabling. Will it be fine for the job of connecting this equipment or am I being a bit cheapskate and should I follow the above advice and go for QED micro ?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi, I've see that Belkin cable on the link you provided for 29.99 +p and p for 30.5metre/100' at www.dvd.co.uk if that's any help? laterz

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Up to you really. You are not going to notice much difference if any at all between the Belkin cable you mention and the QED micro. Especially with home cinema useage. Music would be different I suppose.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Up to you really. You are not going to notice much difference if any at all between the Belkin cable you mention and the QED micro. Especially with home cinema useage. Music would be different I suppose.[/quote]

Being as I am only likely to be playing music from either ipod or ps3 through it, certainly initially, I think I may as well go with the Belkin option and upgrade at a later date if necessary.

Thanks for the tips.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]The less expensive transparent cable at the bottom of the page you linked to would be fine, and only £13 or so for 30m.[/quote]

Thanks Andrew. I'll go for this stuff then. The customer review at the bottom suggests these banana plugs, would you happen to know if they'll be ok with the Onkyo? I'm sure I've read that the Jamos need bare wire.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I originally had the same speaker package as you. I bought it with the Jamo dvd/amp that went with it. Speaker cable came with that set and I still have my rear speakers attached to it (they were chased into the wall). I now have a lot more expensive speakers as my rears and they still sound great. This cable would be similar to the Belkin stuff you have mentioned. You willl be very impressed with the Jamos - they are amazing value for money.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Moge"]The customer review at the bottom suggests these banana plugs, would you happen to know if they'll be ok with the Onkyo? I'm sure I've read that the Jamos need bare wire.[/quote]

Yes, the banana plugs are the ones to have for the Onkyo - you'll need a total of 10 for five channels of audio. The pins included with the wire are designed for springclips, by the look of them.

A

Anonymous

Had my Onkyo delivered yesterday!
emotion-2.gif

Not had chance to do anything other than hook up the speakers and run the auto setup so far.

I don't know if I'm missing a trick, but the banana plugs don't seem to fit into the amp terminals.

They are screw terminals with a hole through the middle. The hole is too small for those banana plugs
emotion-6.gif

Hey ho, I've taken them back off now and put the cable directly into the screw terminals.

Thought I'd post an update in case either I'm doing something wrong and can be corrected, or others read this and stump up for the banana plugs that don't fit....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Moge"]
Had my Onkyo delivered yesterday!
emotion-2.gif

Not had chance to do anything other than hook up the speakers and run the auto setup so far.

I don't know if I'm missing a trick, but the banana plugs don't seem to fit into the amp terminals.

They are screw terminals with a hole through the middle. The hole is too small for those banana plugs
emotion-6.gif

Hey ho, I've taken them back off now and put the cable directly into the screw terminals.

Thought I'd post an update in case either I'm doing something wrong and can be corrected, or others read this and stump up for the banana plugs that don't fit....

[/quote] Do the sockets on the amp have a little plastic plug in the middle? If so, you just prise them out and the banana plug fits in the hole - the plugs are there to protect the amp.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the plugs in the terminals are there to stop you putting banana plugs in. Or rather to stop you using banana plugs at all, as Euro-law says you're not allowed to. Why? Those 4mm banana plugs are the same size as the holes in continental mains sockets, and connecting your speakers to the mains is dangerous if you're daft enough to do it.

And Onkyo isn't allowed to tell you how to remove the plugs in the terminals, as that would be flouting Euro-law.

If the blanking plugs in the terminals are solid, you can prise them out with a pen-knife blade or pull them out with needle-nose pliers. Or if the blanking plugs have smal holes in them, loosely twist a suitably-sized screw into them, then use pliers to pull screw and plug out.

Next week on DIY tips for all, we'll be looking at...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Do the sockets on the amp have a little plastic plug in the middle? If so, you just prise them out and the banana plug fits in the hole - the plugs are there to protect the amp.[/quote]

I don't know, I'll check when I get home. They definitely already have a hole/socket in the terminal, but it's thinner than the banana plugs I have.

Thanks for the tip!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Yes, the plugs in the terminals are there to stop you putting banana plugs in. Or rather to stop you using banana plugs at all, as Euro-law says you're not allowed to. Why? Those 4mm banana plugs are the same size as the holes in continental mains sockets, and connecting your speakers to the mains is dangerous if you're daft enough to do it.

And Onkyo isn't allowed to tell you how to remove the plugs in the terminals, as that would be flouting Euro-law.

If the blanking plugs in the terminals are solid, you can prise them out with a pen-knife blade or pull them out with needle-nose pliers. Or if the blanking plugs have smal holes in them, loosely twist a suitably-sized screw into them, then use pliers to pull screw and plug out.

[/quote]

lol. Ok, thanks.
I'll give it a go with a screw and pliers if anything as they screwdown terminals already have thin holes in them....

Gotta love well meaning but inflexible and overly beaurocratic laws...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote] Ah, that's why the instruction manual shows you how to put batteries in the remote control but never mentions these little blighters!! Something new every day. What a nonsense too!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Moge"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

lol. Ok, thanks.
I'll give it a go with a screw and pliers if anything as they screwdown terminals already have thin holes in them....

Gotta love well meaning but inflexible and overly beaurocratic laws...

[/quote]

I came across this post and I'm interested what the outcome was as I am having what sounds like the exact same problem. I decided to remove the plastic bungs from my amp terminals and the banana plug fitted in perfectly but for some reason it wasn't successful. My problem may be that my amp is a model that is unable to connect the speakers to the amp using b plugs.

TRENDING THREADS