James Bond Bluray Box Set Vol. 1 - £33.98

A

Anonymous

6 films for £34. Thats less than £6 a film. Good Spot. - Bargain.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I almost severely damaged my jaw when it dropped after seeing the opening minutes of Dr.No - the restoration by LD brings a new definition to the phrase "restored to pristine condition".

Whoever would have thought that a film shot over forty years ago would become a must-have demo disc all those years later?

All the 007 films on BD are essential purchases, especially at this price level.
Period.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Tonya:

I almost severely damaged my jaw when it dropped after seeing the opening minutes of Dr.No - the restoration by LD brings a new definition to the phrase "restored to pristine condition".

Whoever would have thought that a film shot over forty years ago would become a must-have demo disc all those years later?

All the 007 films on BD are essential purchases, especially at this price level.
Period.

Watched Dr No from this set on Sunday. It is a great transfer of a film released 47 years ago but, (and this may be sacrilege) I found the acting etc quite laughable! And the bursting into song about mangos every 5 mins! I suppose it was quite endearing, with the schoolboy tricks of pillows under the sheets to look like you're asleep, and a hair across cupboard doors etc. Also liked the fact Mr Bond was easily restrained by two not-so-beefy hoodlums. As had been said elsewhere on the forums recently, they certainly don't make like they used to..

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sacrilege!

Simpsons_torch_mob_sm.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jonnyhifi:Tonya:

Period.

Watched Dr No from this set on Sunday. It is a great transfer of a film released 47 years ago but, (and this may be sacrilege) I found the acting etc quite laughable! And the bursting into song about mangos every 5 mins! I suppose it was quite endearing, with the schoolboy tricks of pillows under the sheets to look like you're asleep, and a hair across cupboard doors etc. Also liked the fact Mr Bond was easily restrained by two not-so-beefy hoodlums. As had been said elsewhere on the forums recently, they certainly don't make like they used to..

Let me guess, your favourite Bond film is Die Another Day?

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm quite looking forward to watching Live and Let Die actually - went to the pics to see it as a child and was quite spooked by the voodoo stuff. The cheesy, tongue in cheek (what a mouthful) approach seems about right for these types of OTT stunt/action films.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I think it's in the English heritage to like Bond.
From owning the original corgi Aston Martin model car as a child to later in life, watching it on the cinema, buying all the films on VHS, watching them whenever they are show on telly, then LaserDisc, then DVD, only to find they released an uncut and improved version on region 1 DVD in America (more money spent) and I really tried to resist the latest incarnation on Blu Ray.

Until I stumbled across a shop demo of Dr.No on a giant beast of a Sony TV in Germany.

I still maintain to this day that it was some kind of entrapment by the 007 franchise
emotion-40.gif

The sight of that pristine transfer really did leave me shaken and stirred.
The glistening hairgel, the awful fashions, the ancient cars - (and that was just me!).

Even enjoyed Die Another Day, one of the few cinematic productions to remain relatively unscathed in spite of casting Madonna in a minor role, which is usually box office death.

I always reach for the Dr.No disc and The Dark Knight when people ask me what all the fuss is about regarding Blu Ray.

But most of all, I like the Bond films because my wife absolutely HATES them with a passion.
She usually leaves the house for a few hours whenever she hears the opening sequences of any of the films.
That's why I very often play the first ten minutes until she's gone, at which point I break out the Harry Hill stuff or Seinfeld.
It's the only two hours when I don't have to wrestle her to get at the remote (she usually wins).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jonnyhifi:Well, I'm quite looking forward to watching Live and Let Die actually - went to the pics to see it as a child and was quite spooked by the voodoo stuff. The cheesy, tongue in cheek (what a mouthful) approach seems about right for these types of OTT stunt/action films.

Err, right, so in Live and Let Die it's "tongue-in-cheek" but in Dr. No it's "dreadful acting"?

Oooookay...

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:

Jonnyhifi:Well, I'm quite looking forward to watching Live and Let Die actually - went to the pics to see it as a child and was quite spooked by the voodoo stuff. The cheesy, tongue in cheek (what a mouthful) approach seems about right for these types of OTT stunt/action films.

Err, right, so in Live and Let Die it's "tongue-in-cheek" but in Dr. No it's "dreadful acting"?

Oooookay...

Err, yes. Dr No was very early 60's and first in the film series, so hadn't the opportunity to indulge in the Bond success that later films had. It was clearly meant to be taken more seriously. Note I'm not saying the acting was any better in Live and Let Die etc, but Roger Moore's notoriously wooden performances didn't detract from the feelgood factor the films at that time were setting out to achieve.

Another reason for Dr No's success may have been how strikingly risque it was for a mainstream film at that time.

Awaits more 'so you're saying' comments........

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
. . . . so you're saying . . . .

No seriously, you nailed it Jonny.
Bond films have always been and always will be pure escapism nonsense, but entertaining nonesense at that.
It's not grown into one of the most lucrative franchises for nothing!

And now it's glorious high definition escapism - doesn't get better than that
emotion-5.gif

Check your brain at the door and be entertained . . . . roll on the next 007 outing!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Tonya:No seriously, you nailed it Jonny.

Bond films have always been and always will be pure escapism nonsense,

Hmm that appears to be the opposite of what Jonny was saying, in that Dr. No (apparently) takes itself too seriously.

I don't agree with that at all, I also don't think the acting was any worse than most films of the period. It IS the early 60s after all.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:Tonya:No seriously, you nailed it Jonny.

Bond films have always been and always will be pure escapism nonsense,

Hmm that appears to be the opposite of what Jonny was saying, in that Dr. No (apparently) takes itself too seriously.

I don't agree with that at all, I also don't think the acting was any worse than most films of the period. It IS the early 60s after all.

I was just passing comment on the acting in that film as I saw it, which may have been partly a consequence of its age (although there are lots of contemporary or older films which were superbly acted - think Rear Window etc.). I didn't say that the film took itself too seriously, nor indeed that I disliked it. It kept me entertained which was the main thing; it's just that some of the amusement arose from unintended sources and the degree of reverence it has generated over time seemed disproprtionate.

Sorry If I have offended any Bondites (or whatever the collective term is).

Note to _lhc : It isn't the early 60's now, but it was then.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:

It IS the early 60s after all.

Apologies, I was only trying to clear up your misapprehension about the current era in a light-hearted, jocular fashion.

Anyway, moving on, you'll be pleased to here I watched 'From Russia With Love' yesterday........thoroughly enjoyed it for picture, sound and content. A step up from Dr No in all areas.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
I've back-to-backed the Dr No Ultimate Edition DVD (UEDVD) & the BD, &, IMHO, compared to the UEDVD, the BD doesn't offer much of an upgrade, both in terms of pic & sound quality. BTW, the Dr No BD is sourced from the UEDVD's master tape.

And why couldn't the BD's techies have re-calibrated the Keystone Cops-style under-cranked (ie speeded up) footage during the car chases & fight scenes?

Bad acting? Surely, Connery is still mighty & dear old Bernard Lee always turned in a solid performance? However, Broccoli's tight-wad policy re artistes' fees always ensured that the Bond films' supporting casts were derived from the ranks of low-rent British B-movie hams, dubbed novices & obscure Euro screen 'actors'.

But what really jars re Dr No is the script's toe-curling interaction/manners of the white characters toward the Afri-Caribbean locals. For example, Bond to Quarrel (during the beach scene): "Get my shoes!" A very, very sad reflection of the times.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ah, that's where this thread went, I've been looking for it all day!

Jonnyhifi:the_lhc:

Apologies, I was only trying to clear up your misapprehension about the current era in a light-hearted, jocular fashion.

There's only one of us under any misapprehensions here and it isn't me...

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:

Oh. Ok, early 60's it is then.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site

Oh. Ok, early 60's it is then.

Are you seriously saying that you don't understand that I was referring to the FILM being made in the early 60's, or was your taking my comment completely out of its context a feeble attempt at humour?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts