ITunes library on PS3?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just got a Playstation 3

I've just bought a Playstation 3 with a 320 gigabyte hard disk. I don't envisage using it for game playing much, mainly just as a player for DVDs etc. So my question is - is it possible to use all that storage space to keep my iTunes library on it, thereby freeing up my practically full laptop hard drive, or is there some format issue or something that makes it impossible?

Thanks…

I've just bought a Playstation 3 with a 320 gigabyte hard disk. I don't envisage using it for game playing much, mainly just as a player for DVDs etc. So my question is - is it possible to use all that storage space to keep my iTunes library on it, thereby freeing up my practically full laptop hard drive, or is there some format issue or something that makes it impossible?

Thanks…

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No, you can't use your PS3 hard drive as a NAS I'm afraid, so although you could actually put your iTunes library on the disk, iTunes wouldn't be able to access it from the PC so it wouldn't do you any good.

If you wanted to play all your music from the PS3 rather than iTunes, then this is possible, but would depend what format your music is in currently e.g. Apple Lossless, AAC, MP3 etc. and possibly how the music got into iTunes i.e. ripped from CD or bought from the iTunes store could be a factor as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - even if it is bad news!

I presume I can at least use it to store my huge stock of rubbish digital photos? Meaning, I assume they can be copied back off the PS3 after loading them on?

That would already free up a worthwhile chunk of space if not nearly as much as the music.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Using software like tversity you can copy digital files (music, photo, video) to your PS3 from your PC - or you could simply copy/paste through a USB connected device. Not 100% but I imagine you can also do the reverse.

The problem with storing music files on PS3 is that the browser is very inelegant and cumbersome. If Sony could improve upon it I would certainly have my music library on there for ease of access.

TRENDING THREADS