ITunes - exporting a new copy of my music?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have all my music saved in a folder on an external USB drive connected to my laptop. In ITunes I have two versions of each song: (1) an Apple lossless version and (2) a 128kps AAC version. They are seperated in ITunes in the same Library by using a smart playlist.

I want to create a third version in 320kbps AAC from the existing lossless files and export the new 320kpbs version to be stored on the C drive of my laptop rather than on the external USB drive.

Any ideas how I can do this?

EDIT - should have said - I know how to create the 320kpbs version in ITunes, I just can't stop I Tunes from filing it in my existing music folder structure on the external USB drive.

idc

This works for me and may help you, but it is a bit clumsy and there could be a better way of doing it -

Edit - preferences - advanced tab. In the box itunes music locatiion folder when I am connected to the hard drive I change the folder location to it. When I am using the music on my laptop I change it to the location in My Music.

You may weel have to accept that the 320kbps versions do initially go into hard drive at first. But once done you can move the folders to your C drive and then follow the above.

A

Anonymous

Cheers idc. The problem is ITunes saves each version of the song into the same folder though. When I look at the file structure of my music folder in Windows Explorer I end up with something like:

G:/Music/U2/B-Sides/09 Walk To The Water
G:/Music/U2/B-Sides/09 Walk To The Water 1
G:/Music/U2/B-Sides/09 Walk To The Water 2

Where the (1) and (2) version of the song are the 128kbps and 320kbps version respectively and the other is the original lossless version.

To copy the 320kbps version only to the C drive of the laptop will be a huge manual task, of going into each folder, selecting the right version of each song and copying it over. I'm sure there must be an easier way but can't find one at the moment!

idc

I see what you mean. My requirement was simply to highlighting folders of bands I wanted to to put on the laptop and dragging and dropping them into a folder in My Music. My computing experience is now at an end. You could have a search through the Apple Support site but I have found it pretty poor for help unless it is something straightforward.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
As per the previous reply try -
Edit
- preferences - advanced tab. In the box' itunes music location' - change it to C:Music 320 (or wherever you want to store it). Change the rip option to 320 kbps. THEN highlight your lossless files and choose 'convert to AAC'. This will convert the files and save the new ones on your C drive.

In windows the only really effective method that doesn't mess up your libraries is to create a new Windows 'User' and rip your other versions using that user.

I have a 256kbps 'user' and a 'lossless' one. One set of files sits on my PC and the other is on my NAS.

A

Anonymous

Excellent thanks - success!

Every time when I changed the location of my music folder, ITunes was automatically trying to update the Library to the new folder which had no songs in it. This mean't that you could no longer highlight the Apple lossless ones to convert them.

However, if you just click "stop" on the small window that opens the second you change the location of the music folder this method works perfectly. I now have a new copy of my music on my C drive.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS