Its been a while ...newbie style connectivity question

barnsleydave

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Hello there. Its been over 2 years since my last post (I feel like Im at at an AA meeting). Ive had my home cinema system since 2009 and for the last 7 years Ive just enjoyed watching stuff (and stopped buying things I dont need, apart from blu-ray movies :) ).

So Ive lost touch a bit with all the technology advancements (running water, electricity, the wheel, that kind of thing).

The latest OLED TV's have however peaked my interest but they are still a bit pricey and Im thinking in maybe 6-12 months time they will have dropped to a point where i would be seriously tempted to 'upgrade'.

I know this is a connections question but here goes.

I am assuming that if I wanted to upgrade my entire set up it would be cheaper to do it all at once rather than piecemeal. However I dont have the money and in looking for a return on investment my current thoughts are that I keep my speakers, and amp and initially just replace the TV (monitor) and later the blu-ray player for a 4k player.

Nucleus of current set up is Pioner KRP60A plasma TV, Pioneer LX81 Amp, Pioneer LX08 blu-ray player. All inputs feed into the amp and there is one output from the AMP to the Monitor.

Question 1: If I purchased just a OLED 4K TV, can I plug it into the Pioner LX81 amp (assuming by HDMI) and I get the benefit of the OLED picture (inputs would be Sky HD and exiting ancient blu-ray player, (oh and a PS4))?

Question 2: If I subsequently added a 4k blu ray player and connected that to the LX81 amp (again Im assuming via hdmi) would I get the benefit when watching 4k blu-rays?

I suppose the question I am asking is - Will the non 4k amp be a blocker in the quality of the sound and picture meaning i would also need an upgraded 4k amp?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The current range of 4K BD players all come with dual HDMI outputs. One feeds audio and picture, the other just audio. It's done this way specifically for people like you with older receivers. You connect the main HDMI out directly to your new 4K OLED TV, bypassing all the non-profit compatible blocks in your receiver (4K passthrough, HDCP2.2, HDR, etc.). The second HDMI goes to your receiver, relaying the surround sound audio.
I don't know anything about contemporary Sky boxes, etc. But I suspect you can either connect them directly to your new TV's other HDMI inputs and make use of the audio return channel (ARC) in your TV and receiver, or jerry-rig fibre optic / coaxial digital audio connections between source boxes and the receiver.

D

Deleted member 2457

Not sure with 4K Blu Rays tho and HDR, I sold my 4K Blu Ray player, I found I liked normal Blu Rays just as much. Still got my Pioneer 81 amp and Pioneer 71 Blu Ray player. The blacks are superb!

D

Deleted member 2457

barnsleydave said:
Hello there. Its been over 2 years since my last post (I feel like Im at at an AA meeting). Ive had my home cinema system since 2009 and for the last 7 years Ive just enjoyed watching stuff (and stopped buying things I dont need, apart from blu-ray movies :) ).

So Ive lost touch a bit with all the technology advancements (running water, electricity, the wheel, that kind of thing).

The latest OLED TV's have however peaked my interest but they are still a bit pricey and Im thinking in maybe 6-12 months time they will have dropped to a point where i would be seriously tempted to 'upgrade'.

I know this is a connections question but here goes.

I am assuming that if I wanted to upgrade my entire set up it would be cheaper to do it all at once rather than piecemeal. However I dont have the money and in looking for a return on investment my current thoughts are that I keep my speakers, and amp and initially just replace the TV (monitor) and later the blu-ray player for a 4k player.

Nucleus of current set up is Pioner KRP60A plasma TV, Pioneer LX81 Amp, Pioneer LX08 blu-ray player. All inputs feed into the amp and there is one output from the AMP to the Monitor.

Question 1: If I purchased just a OLED 4K TV, can I plug it into the Pioner LX81 amp (assuming by HDMI) and I get the benefit of the OLED picture (inputs would be Sky HD and exiting ancient blu-ray player, (oh and a PS4))?

Question 2: If I subsequently added a 4k blu ray player and connected that to the LX81 amp (again Im assuming via hdmi) would I get the benefit when watching 4k blu-rays?

I suppose the question I am asking is - Will the non 4k amp be a blocker in the quality of the sound and picture meaning i would also need an upgraded 4k amp?
Hey, why is your account saying you have made only 8 posts?
regular_smile.gif

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Of course you'll get the full benefits of the brighter picture, upscaled to 4K resolution, blacker blacks, whiter whites, that lovely fresh scent of flowers... (oh, wait, we're talking TVs not soap powder...).

Seriously, the OLED TV will make the most of whatever signal it's fed with. But, like expecting an old colour cathode ray tube TV to suddenly start showing old black'n'white movies in full technicolor, that isn't going to happen. To get the full benefit of a 4K OLED TV you'll need the full 4K signal and high dynamic range (HDR) source material. The TV will upscale to 4K for you, and you'll probably get the blacker blacks, but don't expect miracles.

If wired up as I stated above, however, your receiver won't block any of the new picture stuff from HD / 4K Blu-Rays getting through to the TV. As I don't live in the UK any more, I haven't seen a Sky box in action and haven't seen their specs, but over here I'm not sure the Netflix / Hulu / Amazon stuff put over the internet in 4K is HDR or 50/60 FPS anyway, so you may be able to use the HDMIs from those boxes directly to the receiver, thence to the TV. If that doesn't work, you'll need to wire those boxes directly to other HDMI inputs on the TV and if they don't have separate audio outputs (analogue or digitial) that you can connect directly to the receiver, you'll need use the ARC HDMI from the TV back to the receiver or jerry-rigged fibre-optics or coaxials as best you can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts