It's all about the bass

gasolin

yes it's me again

Tried my sub again and used it for a while with the bass port covered, the extra bass extention is nice

I just want the extra bass comming from my front speakers

I can have many active studio monitors Mackie Mr824,adam T7v or T8v, yamaha hs7 all of them are not expensive,have deep bass and can play louder than most hifi speakers like dali oberon 3 or my speakers

if your budget is low and you want new "passive" speakers, i can only think of one pair of speakers

Monitor audio Bronze 100, 8" woofer, 110 db 52 hz free space in room 37hz -6db

Under 400 euros for a pair

Why hasn't other brands made something similar, speakers with power,bass without costing a furtune, studio monitors, yes theres a much bigger selection but they are active, i have an amplifer i would like to use

For more power, higher sensitivity or bigger speaker with just about the same sensitivity as my current speakers but higher power handle so it sounds cleaner when playing loud (higher limit) and to get speakers that can handle more bass when listning either to edm or loud or even both ?

Im kind of going for the last, since higher sensitivity (if you don't like klipsch) often is pa speakers, with 60 hz being lowest rated bass extention for the best pa speakers at a low price but then it's like 99% of all pa speakers is with a 10-12 or 15" woofer, which is to big for my desk and a desk in general

What is the point of having higher sensitivity if the speaker can't play deep bass and you want bass from the front speakers not a subwoofer you have to struggle to integrated perfectly (with no high pass filter for the fronts) ?

How good is the Ma bronze 100 for nearfield,bass and high spl ?

Any alternative ?

Last edited:
Not everyone needs or wants bass quantity or depth (or both). Plus, the more bass a speaker produces, the more likely it is to ignite room issues, which could be a bigger issue in smaller rooms.

The bigger the bass driver, the more it costs to make, so to fit within a budget, quality (and maybe even reliability) may have to be sacrificed. I remember the Wharfedale Modus and Valdus speakers from the late 90s - standmounts and floorstanders under £200, lots of bass, pretty loud, but reliability was 50/50, and they weren't the best for sound quality. They were just impressive enough for quick burst demos with bassy material. We'd play Check One by Leftfield, and you were guaranteed the sale.

If you prioritise a good sensitivity and nice easy impedance load, you sacrifice bass extension with standmount speakers. Higher quality speakers benefit from better engineering, but they're a more demanding load because the impedance/sensitivity etc is secondary to the frequency range/response. PA speakers are purely about SPL, which means other aspects suffer.

Reactions: DougK1

gasolin

Dali oberon 3 is not that expensive but sort of ahh when reading reviews, it's not a bass heavy speaker, size is between a ma bronze 50 and 100 (should be a good match for my amp)

A little hard to find big bookshelf speakers for a low price

Wharfedale diamond 12.2 okay price, Mission LX 3 MKII don't have alot of bass

Last edited:
I think most people will likely choose a floorstander over a big bookshelf speaker - smaller footprint and less bulky looking, and more acceptable in the shared home. Higher up the price ladder it's not so bad, as they tend to be less fussy about looks, and generally have larger rooms to lose them in.

gasolin

Space limits and don't wanna have a subwoofer

Not just one click and a sub sounds perfect

I think most people will likely choose a floorstander over a big bookshelf speaker - smaller footprint and less bulky looking,

Than why are there so many big bookshelfs, stand mount studio monitors like adam T8v,m-audio bx8 d3,yamaha hs8,kali audio LP-8 2nd,focal alpha 80 evo and many more

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I have a pair of bulky Spendor Bookshelves, when Covid was about to ease, I went around auditioning floorsstander like Spendor A7, Proac R20 etc, bigger bass but I’m used the bass with bookshelf, for me it’s a lot easier to tune the bass, and in case of bass deficiency you can supplement with a sub.
I think in hifi you have the audiophile who wants details but not aggressive, sound engineer wants it neutral and reflect how it was recorded I.e sound effects like EQ, reverb etc
PA speakers is purely functional they just have to work whether it’s loud or quiet.
And tastes in music has a lot to do also. If I want to rock out I would go JBL or Klipsch for classical fans they probably want something that do finesse better, subtlety being their thing. Too much bass in quantity can affect how you hear other frequencies like mid and treble too. I personally like realistic sound, timbre, nothing exaggerated. I don’t want bass that’s over emphasised whilst it’s not even in the recording. But bass is definitely not an easy thing to get right due to unique room acoustics.

gasolin

Theres is an update

First i wanna hear if i can get any advice if im only going to go for a pair of speakers with more bass, a pair that just can play loud (normal sensitivity)

What speakers that could be ?

When i look there are some big almost to big speakers that might only give me a little deeper bass for around 400-600 euros (but takes up more space on my desk so there a more limit option for placing them to the right or left on my desk, back and forward or angle them)

So to limit the price i wouldn't go for both sensitivty and bass

Second i thought i found a closed subwoofer for a low price i could buy but the seller wouldn't send it and i can't get it

There is a sale (discount) on argon subs

The smallest one (45-50 hz at -3db, mine once were tested to be 58hz -3d) has a 35% discount (never had any argon hifi that wasn't good), bought one and 5 meter cable

I bought 5 meter because it gives better options for placement but also the smallest sub so i can have better options to place them, not being limited by how big the subwoofer is relative to where i can place it

Theres a foam plug included so i can close the bass port if it's to boomy or have port noise (more controlled bass)

Power: shure 8" or 10" have more power but also bigger and more expensive, will try to adjust it so it of course matches my front speakers and limit it to what it can play, even when my front's can play louder it's only 1 time out of 20 or 30 times i wanna play super loud (90db + at 1 meter, requires alot from my amp,speakers, when 90db is avarage, peak is much louder)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts