It may have killed the Cat, but out of curiosity…..

T

the record spot

Depends how you mean, items which degrade through wear and tear may do. Speaker bass units, turntable belts, cartridge stylus tip wear, etc, all have an impact on the sound. That said, I think older gear can have a very attractive sound to it.

With the exception of my DVD player, which I bought a couple of years ago for SACD duties and my cartridge, nothing is newer than 2001.

In fact, as of last night, the oldest item of kit suddenly became about 30 years old! A Sansui TU-317 analogue tuner and very much looking forward to hearing it I am!

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I've just upgraded nearly my whole kit apart from CD Player with older equipment that was a steal in terms of sound per pounds and it's given me the sound I want/love (for now anyhow!!). Also agree that if you look after the kit, especially anything with moving parts such as a turntable, sound souldn't degrade too much. Then again, if modern recordings continue to deteriorate in terms of production/sound quality as reported in other posts on this site, you might find it difficult to tell if it is the mix or equipment.

Cheers

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Serenity:
Taking broken or faulty components out of the equation, does
the sound quality of HiFi equipment deteriorate over time?

Best

Serenity

Turntables need looking after more than other components. Electronics CAPACITOR do have life shelf and these would effect sound quality. As for speakers...depending on drivers materials. Paper cones and foam surrounding tend to go faster than other types although my uncle have a 20 years old pair and still looking like new.

A

Anonymous

theReocrdSpot, PlasticPenguin, Pike900fish, Thaiman

Thanks for your replies.

The general consensus is that I'm safe!

By SAFE, I mean that when I do take the plunge and buy a decent new system within the near future, if I chose correctly, it should last me 20, 25, 30 years (excepting normal wear and tear)

Hence the next system I buy will be my last. Because even though I may just be around in 25 years time, I'm darn sure my hearing wont be.

Best

Serenity

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
good luck with the plan
emotion-21.gif

As for me, half of year without upgrade (or normally side-grade) would be lovely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts