It’s funny how everyone says plasma TVs should be kept upright

• Thread starter Deleted member 197450
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 197450

I'm pretty sure it's recommended you transport any flat panel display vertically because there's less of a chance the front panel will break, not for any other technical reason.
I thought it was for a technical reason and it wouldn’t function properly if you did! :)

Tinman1952

I'm pretty sure BB's right - was told that when we brought the first one home.
Panasonic recommended always transporting their plasma TV's vertically to avoid potential damage to internal components. When I bought my 42inch plasma many, many years ago I was also told to leave it for several hours after transporting for the 'plasma to settle' before switching it on... 🤔

EvShrug

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
It’s true, my 55” LG OLED is significantly lighter than my 42” Panasonic Plasma. Both have been great though, literally the only two TV’s I’ve ever bought and owned myself.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I am a great fan f PLASMA Tvs if compare a "new" standard 4K Chinese TV 50 inch with a 3D Panasonic 2011 model with standard speaker and either 46 or 50 inch "real screen" The Panasonics come back the better TVs better picture at 60 hz compared with 50 hz a more rich look especially sports . Sounds are generally better too. And would a Chinese made TV last as long ? well answer is simple even a 2k 4K Ultra 8k ,Ultra TV at 50 inches or any size for that matter are not made to last , it is as simple as that . 5 Years on a Ultra 4k 8k Tv is about it Chinese are not silly why would they make a TV to last ? Most buyers change every 3 years now Once that warranty is gone that is it . Over the years i have read reports from many people and experts who have had these Ultra 4k TVs and the worry is That when they go wrong ( which they do) The parts cannot be found . "I wonder why?" Often the cost of the TV going back is simply not worth it. Even at £2k for a TV . They simply scrap the TV . A mate of mine , received a TV from John lewis ( great company to buy from just done expect them to pick up the old TV as they will not ) Bought and paid cash £2500 for a 70 inch TV one of those with 3 screens , to make up the 70 inches . The middle screen went AWOL within 9 months of buying it . They was very good and replaced it , but as i said before the driver refused to pick it up . The replacement was fine . My mate being an enterprising electrician , looked at and bought another screen for £130 . ( ie the middle bit ) worked for another year and then bang , all went dark . End of the TV . Considering he got a new TV and a second one . He did well . But he did mention , these TVs are absolute rubbish inside . Horrible to work on Cheaply made and put together

I am a great fan f PLASMA Tvs if compare a "new" standard 4K Chinese TV 50 inch with a 3D Panasonic 2011 model with standard speaker and either 46 or 50 inch "real screen" The Panasonics come back the better TVs better picture at 60 hz compared with 50 hz a more rich look especially sports . Sounds are generally better too. And would a Chinese made TV last as long ? well answer is simple even a 2k 4K Ultra 8k ,Ultra TV at 50 inches or any size for that matter are not made to last , it is as simple as that . 5 Years on a Ultra 4k 8k Tv is about it Chinese are not silly why would they make a TV to last ? Most buyers change every 3 years now Once that warranty is gone that is it .
That's consumerism for you. Nothing to do with China. People are demanding bigger TVs for a fraction of the price. That's why Pioneer shut the shop, Panasonic has closed its factories etc. You get what you pay for. I've asked you this before. How much did you pay for your plasma TV and what size TV you can you get today at the same price? How is it possible when price of everything else has gone up? Again, it's nothing to do with China making inferior quality on purpose. They manufacture anything to spec. My Oppo 103D which I bought in 2014 is still going strong after 8 years. Never missed a disc. You can Google and check where Oppo is based.

Reactions: doifeellucky

EvShrug

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
I am a great fan f PLASMA Tvs if compare a "new" standard 4K Chinese TV 50 inch with a 3D Panasonic 2011 model with standard speaker and either 46 or 50 inch "real screen" The Panasonics come back the better TVs better picture at 60 hz compared with 50 hz a more rich look especially sports .
Are you comparing Plasma vs LED here? Of course Plasma wins for contrast and color, it’s just inherently better than LED… though it had its other trade-offs (power, heat, brightness, care to prevent burn-in, size/weight, etc). The trade-offs were worth it for me to have a plasma, and we definitely enjoyed long-term use out of it.

I’m glad my plasma lasted so long, and that I held out until we bought an OLED (much better than LED).

And would a Chinese made TV last as long ? well answer is simple even a 2k 4K Ultra 8k ,Ultra TV at 50 inches or any size for that matter are not made to last , it is as simple as that . 5 Years on a Ultra 4k 8k Tv is about it Chinese are not silly why would they make a TV to last ? Most buyers change every 3 years now Once that warranty is gone that is it . Over the years i have read reports from many people and experts who have had these Ultra 4k TVs and the worry is That when they go wrong ( which they do) The parts cannot be found . "I wonder why?" Often the cost of the TV going back is simply not worth it. Even at £2k for a TV . They simply scrap the TV . A mate of mine , received a TV from John lewis ( great company to buy from just done expect them to pick up the old TV as they will not ) Bought and paid cash £2500 for a 70 inch TV one of those with 3 screens , to make up the 70 inches . The middle screen went AWOL within 9 months of buying it . They was very good and replaced it , but as i said before the driver refused to pick it up . The replacement was fine . My mate being an enterprising electrician , looked at and bought another screen for £130 . ( ie the middle bit ) worked for another year and then bang , all went dark . End of the TV . Considering he got a new TV and a second one . He did well . But he did mention , these TVs are absolute rubbish inside . Horrible to work on Cheaply made and put together
This feels more… emotional than logical. Most TV panels are actually made in South Korea (a longtime US ally, very closely tied to our economy and they to ours). There are some Chinese companies that buy Samsung or LG panel parts and finish assembly in their country by adding the image processor, trim, stands, etc before putting their brand on the outside, but that’s no different from what US companies like Westinghouse do.

Manufacturing quality is due to parts selection and management oversight on assembly workers: Chinese workers have no difference in fine motor skills and craftsmanship than anyone else. It’s worth being concerned about worker abuse (wages, age, hours, etc) or privacy/loyalty scores, from a humanitarian perspective, but Chinese factory workers are just people trying to make a living, like anybody else.

When it comes to repair ability, I imagine old Panasonic or Pioneer plasma TVs are even harder to find spare parts and repair than still-in-production LEDs and OLEDs. It might not be worth it for companies to take back such TVs because they can’t be fixed, either can’t be fixed at all (like plasma panels) or fixed for less cost than the price of shipping and parts/labor. I already know that the gas in a Plasma TV eventually gets exhausted (and I think they slowly leak out, too?), Panasonic said from the onset that they would have about a 10-year lifespan (mine’s a bit dimmer and sometimes has weird streaks/shadows, but I’ve had it for over 10 years and definitely appreciated it!). LEDs from that time can long outlive Plasma… I wonder how long OLEDs are supposed to last?

Anyway, I hope you love and enjoy your Plasmas for as long as possible, like I did! Good news is that technology has finally produced a viable alternative that doesn’t feel like it gives up anything in the image department, while providing a host of benefits! We use our 55” LG OLED pretty much every day, and our last monthly electric bill was under $39!

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I will not replace either of the PLASMA until they go wrong Could be tomorrow ( not today as i am watching West Wing) Why repair something that is still working / My old Pioneer 2005 is still giving good service to the owner . 17 years for a TV is fabulous okay it is only 720P . Hopefully i keep both another year . Our main TV the 46 inch is used on average 17 hours a day always on , has one odd feature , sometimes goes to "red" every so often . But that is only on Sky for some reason. ( once a day sometimes twice ) The other has 3D which i gather most LED manufacturers have stopped making them now When the time comes i will change ( unlikely to be another PLASMA , but who knows) When it does come i will look for a replacement

bumpymark

May 22, 2022
Visit site
new member here, reading this post with interest,many moons ago i was a door to door sales rep selling white goods and tvs and dvd players,on one of our training courses i asked if we would be selling plasma tvs as opposed to crt sets and the answear i got was ,plasma tvs will need regassing every yr and the cost would outweigh any profits the company would make,needless to say said company soon went under after a while!!!!!!

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
new member here, reading this post with interest,many moons ago i was a door to door sales rep selling white goods and tvs and dvd players,on one of our training courses i asked if we would be selling plasma tvs as opposed to crt sets and the answear i got was ,plasma tvs will need regassing every yr and the cost would outweigh any profits the company would make,needless to say said company soon went under after a while!!!!!!
I was told the same thing! They said that plasma needed gas every year just like they told you. It put me right off plasma TVs for years. :(

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Check out this guy on AVF the Pioneer has got to be kept upright! :rolleyes:

He will be gassing next!

Check out this guy on AVF the Pioneer has got to be kept upright! :rolleyes:

He will be gassing next!
Am I missing something? It is upright.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Pioneer PDP LX 5090 is a superb tv but boy is it heavy in my view not suitable for wall mounting in a modern property. having owned 2 Pioneer both 4 and 43 inch and a LG 50 inch i can tell you they are terribly heavy . Current models are my 3rd and 4th Panasonics a 46 2010 and a 50 inch 2011 3D model . i would not change them for all the world of even 50 inch 4k models of today. These are likely to be the last PLASMA now as it is now getting difficult to find them anymore . I probably end up with either a LG 50 with satellite or the TCL 55 as my max price is likely not to be above £500 for a new TV now . But until then i keep both

Reactions: Freddy

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Pioneer PDP LX 5090 is a superb tv but boy is it heavy in my view not suitable for wall mounting in a modern property. having owned 2 Pioneer both 4 and 43 inch and a LG 50 inch i can tell you they are terribly heavy . Current models are my 3rd and 4th Panasonics a 46 2010 and a 50 inch 2011 3D model . i would not change them for all the world of even 50 inch 4k models of today. These are likely to be the last PLASMA now as it is now getting difficult to find them anymore . I probably end up with either a LG 50 with satellite or the TCL 55 as my max price is likely not to be above £500 for a new TV now . But until then i keep both
They certainly were heavy! The stand and Soundbar added to weight too.

TRENDING THREADS