Issues fitting Expanding Rhodium Plug connector to amplifier

deanms

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi I've just purchased some speaker cables with 4mm Expanding Rhodium Plug connectors.

I have a Modwright KWA 100SE Amplifier where the speaker output doesn't appear large enough to accept them.

Has anyone had a similar issue and is there a tip which will enable the fitting to occur?

Thank you.

spiny norman said:
deanms said:
is there a tip which will enable the fitting to occur?

Simply, push the plug harder. The point of these expanding plugs is that they compress a little when inserted into the socket, then can be screwed down to form a tight fit when they are in place.

Assuming the knurled wheel on the end of the plug, which controls the internal 'spreading' device, is fully unscrewed (anticlockwise), and yet the plug still won't fit, I guess you could try squeezing the plugs slightly with some pliers to compress the four-leaf 'barrel' elements inward a little.

Then, once the plug is in, screw down the knurled wheel on the end of the plug (clockwise) to push the central pin forward, spreading the four 'prongs' to grip the inside of the terminal socket firmly.

+1

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
deanms said:
is there a tip which will enable the fitting to occur?

The point of these expanding plugs is that they compress a little when inserted into the socket, then can be screwed down to form a tight fit when they are in place.

Assuming the knurled wheel on the end of the plug, which controls the internal 'spreading' device, is fully unscrewed (anticlockwise), and yet the plug still won't fit, check that the pin inside the four spread elements is retracting when the knurled wheel is unscrewed: if it isn't, hold the plug with the part that goes into the amp terminals pointing upwards, as in the picture below, and tap the plug body with a screwdriver or something to loosen it. The pin is usually a separate part from the screw-wheel, and can get jammed between the spreadable elements, so it stays in place even the wheel part is retracted.

If it is retracting, but the four elements are still spread, I guess you could try squeezing the plugs slightly with some pliers to compress the elements inward just a little.

Then, once the plug is in, screw down the knurled wheel on the end of the plug (clockwise) to push the internal pin forward, spreading the four 'prongs' to grip the inside of the terminal socket firmly.

Expanding%20Rhodium%20Plugs.jpg

deanms

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi thanks for your promt response.

Your explanation worked without the need to fetch for the pliers.

Simple enough but that's what happens when you get excited.

Cheers

Dean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts