isolators for CD player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]Spot on mate, in fact that cover all angles of Hifi. Invest in big three rather than the tweaking items such as oak feets, cables and racks.[/quote]

This is where my opinion differs with you a bit. Having invested so much in the "big three" you are happy to undermine their performance? Being careful in how you deal with isolation devices/cables and racks is more then simply tweaking.

I don't know about spending hundreds on oak feet,racks but CD is a primary source. Even the best transports will have vibration issues ( though not as much as cheaper/lighter players ). If its ability to accurately extract the binary data is compromised by vibrational breakthrough, then the rest of your expensive system will be compromised.

Valve amps also need to be protected from vibration ( valve microphony ). This is a long known problem and was partially solved with vibration damping rings.

Dampening/ isolating solutions does not need to be expensive. Using materials like squash balls (cut in half) will help reduce the vibration.

The same type of argument is applicable to cables. You have an incredible high resolution system with a small (but cumulative) loss of resolution at every cable connection.

You rate VD cables very highly having heard them. By the same token the rest of us ( who rate IC & speaker cables as a valid way to improve hifi) have heard differences which allows our system to come closer to their true potential. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander after all.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"] Even the best transports will have vibration issues ( though not as much as cheaper/lighter players ). If its ability to accurately extract the binary data is compromised by vibrational breakthrough, then the rest of your expensive system will be compromised.[/quote]

If you have a heavy CD player on a secure shelf on a good solid floor wouldn't the only source of vibration be from the spinning CD, unless you live in an earthquake zone? Or is your listening room constantly full of dancers?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]

Valve amps also need to be protected from vibration ( valve microphony ).
This is a long known problem and was partially solved with vibration damping
rings.
[/quote]
Oh yes, I agree with that but how many of us here have a vavle amp? I speaking as in general term. The same go to Turn Table, more attention needed to the set up.

[quote user="Anton90125"]You rate VD cables very highly having heard them. By the same token the rest of
us ( who rate IC & speaker cables as a valid way to improve hifi) [/quote]

To be dead honest with you here, if I use the money I spend on The VD cables and spend it on CD player, let say trade my Fog2 in and up grade to Fog3, I would get a better sound for the money plus I can sell off my pre amp as Fog 3 has it's own preamp build in.

However as a hardcore box swapper (that is mean, I think, someone who keep changing his system for a hobby) I need to hear all this things including silly price cables but don't worry I wouldn't loose a penny on them :)

[quote user="Anton90125"]What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander after all.[/quote]
Never heard that one but I would recommend a light Cranberry sauce with a touch of dry sherry.

A

Anonymous

Anton, you are right. You need to pay attention to even smaller details. That's the general idea of what you are saying, and that's entirely agreeable. But I would be shy of going to the lengths when my accessories would cost as much as the components. Persoanally, I don't find that justifiable. I mean, the money spent there doesn't translate as much into sound as it would if I spent it else where. I wouldn't spend 300 quid on stabilizing a 300 quid player. But if I was out shopping for a CDP costing a grand, I wouldn't mind spending 300 on that may be. So, for me, its all about the correct ratio.
But then, not everyone thinks the same way. For some spending on small things is important too, so they will. But if one thinks in sound per pound terms, expenses like these don't add as much value as they cost.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]If you have a heavy CD player on a secure shelf on a good solid floor wouldn't the only source of vibration be from the spinning CD, unless you live in an earthquake zone? Or is your listening room constantly full of dancers?[/quote]

I think you already know the answer to that ( with your physics knowledge) but just in case. Even a heavy object will transmit a vibration. When the vibration is less then the track width of a CD then I suppose you can ignore vibration but most everyday vibrations are orders of magnitude greater then this size. Yes you will also get vibrations from the spin. My CD player has a disc dampener to deal with that. In the 80's/early 90's we used to use a second CD to do this job.

The external vibrations will cause tracking errors which in turn will cause the error correction modes in the CD player to come into play. This statistical guess at correcting the error will result in a lose in sound quality.

You don't need an earthquake, or dancers to have potential problems though secure shelf on a good solid floor wouldn't do any harm.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]Never heard that one but I would recommend a light Cranberry sauce with a touch of dry sherry.[/quote]

My Sister cooks a mean roast goose using Amaretto in the stuffing and gravy! Lovely!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say, having had my kit standing on top of each other for a few months and then putting them on a dedicated stand on separate shelves I was stunned by the difference.

Stunned.

Honestly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts