Is this worth a temporary change

klingklang

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I am new here and begging for advice. I do not know my stuff at all so help is appreciated. I have got a pretty poor basic hi-fi system. It is my rega rp1 turntable plugged into my old inexpensive technics hi fi Hd510 system through a pre amp. My intention is to buy a new amp and speakers at some point which I will do. As a temporary fix I have been offered an amp and speakers out of my friends loft and it would be good to know if this would be worthwhile and sound any better. The amp is a Sony F411r and the speakers are cyrus mission 780. Your help and advice would be much appreciated. Also if I do go for it should I still use the pre amp or go directly to the Sony amp. Thanks in advance.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The Mission 780 are an outstanding speaker and will compliment any modern amp BUT have a known issue with their mid/bass driver failing for no reason.

If they have the original drivers a) they may not work - b) they'll fail in the not too distant future.

Check Mission to see if they still have replacements and if you're paying put this on the cost.

(refer to online reviews If your friend doubts you)

The amp I'm not familiar with but may also require some 'cleaning' internally.

But those speakers are worth getting if you can get them cheap.

I use the Mission 782se the same series (had to swap the mid drivers a couple years into ownership).

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Mission 780's for the past 14 years and only just replaced them with floorstanders 1) to suit a larger room, and 2) as part of an upgrade path. Originally in my dining room for at least 10 years (3.5m x 4m) they have been great - being driven by a Rega Brio 2000 (38w @ 8ohms). Replaced the mid/bass drivers quite a few years ago and they've not put a foot wrong since. Not sure what I am going to do with them just yet, but will be keeping them for definite. Great little speakers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts