Is this a good deal? Pro-ject RM 5.1 SE

mkilci

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and definitely new (getting back into) Hi-FI. Couple months ago got a Rotel preamp and an AMP with ML ESLs. Loving the setup. Currently using my Macbook to listen to FLACs and ITunes. I have been looking for a Turntable for a while.

At a local retailer I saw a Pro-ject RM 5.1 SE with a Sumiko blue point #2. It is in a room where not too many people demo it. The rep I kind of trust said it should have no more than 10 hours on it.

They are selling it for $650 (-$60 discount for financing). So it will be about $590.

What do you guys think about this Turntable. I know the manufacturer is discontinuing it. Is it a good buy/unit. Should I spend a little more and get a brand new unit or a different one? With my setup am I going to be able to hear the difference between this and say Project Debut Carbon or some other model in the same price range? Are there other brand/models I should consider?

Thank you so much for any feeedback. If you guys think I should get it, I need to get it soon before someone else does.

mkilci said:
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and definitely new (getting back into) Hi-FI. Couple months ago got a Rotel preamp and an AMP with ML ESLs. Loving the setup. Currently using my Macbook to listen to FLACs and ITunes. I have been looking for a Turntable for a while.

At a local retailer I saw a Pro-ject RM 5.1 SE with a Sumiko blue point #2. It is in a room where not too many people demo it. The rep I kind of trust said it should have no more than 10 hours on it.

They are selling it for $650 (-$60 discount for financing). So it will be about $590.

What do you guys think about this Turntable. I know the manufacturer is discontinuing it. Is it a good buy/unit. Should I spend a little more and get a brand new unit or a different one? With my setup am I going to be able to hear the difference between this and say Project Debut Carbon or some other model in the same price range? Are there other brand/models I should consider?

Thank you so much for any feeedback. If you guys think I should get it, I need to get it soon before someone else does.

That's not a bad deal at all, as long as dealer will give you a warranty.

Deck was originally around $995 and was probably the best you could get for under 1000. It will still be hard to beat even though discontinued.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts