Is there any sound difference between receivers of the same brand (400-800USD range)

meinD

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Recently I was comparing several models of Yamaha *75 series and noticed that 7.1 is more expensive by 100 dollars than 5.1 with the same characteristics. The third receiver has 7.1 and THX support and is by 200 more expensive than original one. So, I wonder are those features (more channels and THX) the only difference? Is sound quality on the same level?

Thanks.

meinD

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Actually I'm planning to pair 2.1 (B&W 685 and a sub). That's why I try to get as few channels as possible. I could get stereo receiver, but I need HDMIs for PS, BR player etc.

Thanks.

I won't worry too much about THX support. RX-V475 should be fine, but I would suggest you compare with 675 to see if you can perceive any difference.

The next thing on your shopping list should be a dedicated centre speaker like HTM61.

meinD

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty fine without THX and 7 channels, but I wonder why people spend twice more? Just to get THX and two more channels without sound quality improvement? I guess I don't really undertand this industry ))

Thanks for your advice.

Paul.

THX support is about achieving a certain volume output distortion free for a given sized room. Ultra 2 can achieve reference volume levels without distortion in a 3000 cubic foot room, Select 2 the same volume in a 2000 cubic foot room.

Reference level is 85dB, so a bigger room will need quite a bit more power to acheive the same volume distortion free.

If you are only driving two channels for music I wouldnt worry too much.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have an Onkyo 905 driving my B&W 685 Theatre with the ASW610 sub and I am delighted with it. The B&W 685s and very good speakers and I reccomend that you have the matching Centre speaker for dialogue instead of the sub. You can always save up for the sub, I preferred the ASW610 to the ASW600 which is usually matched to the 685 Theatre.

I am envious of Bigboss's Atmos system it looks fantastic and it must sound awesome!

Best wishes

Chris

TRENDING THREADS