Is their an upgrade from Sonos Connect (formerly ZP90)?

markvh1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I have put this in the correct forum or not.

I'm just wondering if their is a possible improvement on the Sonos Connect (ZP90) I am using.

My NAS is hardwired to the wifi router which is in turn hard wired to the Sonos ZP90 (in another room).

The ZP90 is connected to the ATC CDA2 preamp (which also has the CD player and DAC built in) via the Sonos coax digital out into the coax digital in on the preamp.

Their is also a LAN connection from the ZP90 to the TV to access BBC iPlayer.

Just out of interest, is it possible to change/upgrade the Sonos ZP90 for something else or is it not worth it as the ZP90 is probably just passing the digital signal straight through to the DAC in the preamp for conversion to analogue.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Do you mean a Sonos upgrade? No, in that case, although it is possible to get the ZP90 modified to "improve" it, although these typically are focussed on improving on the analogue outputs. You could always get a new separate DAC which may or may not improve things, depends on how much you want to spend on it.

You could, I suppose, replace it with a different streamer but I don't really know anything about anything other than Sonos.

markvh1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
No, I meant something to replace the Sonos ZP90 with. Is it a streamer I could be after?

Do streamers have LAN input connections on them like the ZP90?

If I replaced the ZP90 with a streamer, would I also be able to connect a LAN from the streamer to the TV so that the wife can still get BBC iPlayer.

I really am very ignorant on music streaming side of things. I guess if I changed the ZP90 I would also lose the benefit of the superb Sonos controller app on the iPad?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
markvh1 said:
No, I meant something to replace the Sonos ZP90 with. Is it a streamer I could be after?

Just so we're clear, the ZP90 IS a streamer.

Do streamers have LAN input connections on them like the ZP90?

I can't think of any that won't have at least one to allow the streamer a physical connection to your home network (rather than wireless) but to answer the question as to whether they'll act as a switch (which is actually what you're asking in the next question), the only answer is that some might, others won't. I know that isn't very helpful but without going and looking them all up it's impossible to say much more.

If I replaced the ZP90 with a streamer, would I also be able to connect a LAN from the streamer to the TV so that the wife can still get BBC iPlayer.

Again, depends on the answer above.

I really am very ignorant on music streaming side of things. I guess if I changed the ZP90 I would also lose the benefit of the superb Sonos controller app on the iPad?

Yes, you would, you'll also find that you'll need to run additional software on the NAS that your music is stored on, Sonos is the only streamer I know of that doesn't require anything like that, without knowing what NAS it is it won't be possible to tell you if your NAS is capable of running the sort of server software that other streamers require.

As you say initially though, it is very debatable as to whether you'll hear any improvement anyway, given you're taking a digital output from the Sonos.

markvh1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much for that.

I guess I'll keep the ZP90 with it's digital coax output and treat it as just passing the signal on and connect it into something like a Chord QBD76 DAC Coax digital input. I think I may need something like the Chord QBD76 to get a substantial sound difference to what I have now (when funds and wife allow), also I am very happy with the sound at the moment but am just inquisitive as to what else could be done as a next step.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts