IS the upgrade justifiable?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys got a pair of Sonus fabers cremona speakers second hand for 2 & half grand. upgrade from B&W's 684s. The diference in sound Quality is just unbelievable... This is the catch. Am using a marantz Sr6003 Av amp. Cd player, cambrigde audio 840c Source. I got 2 channel amp unison research, from a dealer 2 try out for a week, causing 3 times the price of the marantz yet do not enjoy the combo of the unison..

Well its not that the unison is not good, its just that the marantz is more anologue sounding.. i thought it can't be but time & time again i was enjoiying the sound of the marantz.. The up side 4 the unison was it was just a little bit more musical than the marantz but i was not enjoying the music as much as the marantz.

Very big mismatch but it works very well. I have come to learn that in some cases price is not the path to a better sound!! But again thats subjective..

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Hey guys got a pair of Sonus fabers cremona speakers second hand for 2 & half grand. upgrade from B&W's 684s. The diference in sound Quality is just unbelievable... This is the catch. Am using a marantz Sr6003 Av amp. Cd player, cambrigde audio 840c Source. I got 2 channel amp unison research, from a dealer 2 try out for a week, causing 3 times the price of the marantz yet do not enjoy the combo of the unison..

Well its not that the unison is not good, its just that the marantz is more anologue sounding.. i thought it can't be but time & time again i was enjoiying the sound of the marantz.. The up side 4 the unison was it was just a little bit more musical than the marantz but i was not enjoying the music as much as the marantz.

Very big mismatch but it works very well. I have come to learn that in some cases a higher price is not the path to a better sound!! But again thats subjective..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Which U.R. amp were you trying?

Are you sure that the CA CDP isn't causing the problem that you're hearing with the UR + SF?

You have got some great speakers now. And though they are surprisingly tolerant, they will lay bare your sources. As Cno has hinted, I'd be thinking more about your CDs than your amp, though both need to be improved to get anything like the true potential from your Sonus fabers. The SF importers invariably demo them with Audio Research or Krell, but I've read that Micromega and Musical Fidelity models can work well too.

What budget do you have?

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I find your comment that the "marantz is more anologue sounding" than the Unison Research difficult to understand. I have the Marantz SR6004 and the Unison Research Unico and the Unico is way better in stereo, in fact "more analogue sounding" than the Marantz. The Marantz is a decent multi-channel amp, but the Unison is on another level in stereo. There is just no comparison. Your Cambridge 840c is a decent CD player that should easily show up differences between the Marantz and Unison Research.

TRENDING THREADS