Is the Pioneer SC-LX58 right for me?

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
So the May Bank Holiday deals are dangling the Pioneer SC-LX58 at budget-busting but attractive £999. Do you think it'll be at least as musical in sterio as my current Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp?

It'll be driving B&W 603's in sterio with a CC6 S2 centre, 686 rears and ASW610 sub.

Practically it's a huge step forwards. On-paper it'll replace the aging Arcam which is slowly dying (dry-joints), my great but feature-limited Yamaha RX-V1800, Logitech Squeezebox and HDMI switch. It's got all the features I'll need for the forseeable future too.

Usually I'd be heading for a listening room but I'm time and circumstance limited so would love anyones input!

abacus

Everybody's ears are different, so its not possible to say whether the Pioneer will be good for you or not, the only way is to go and try them for yourself or get them on return.

Personally I find the Pioneer to be the most accurate, however it presents it as is, (If the recording is bad it will sound bad) which does not suit everybody.

Marantz I find to give a slightly warm sound, probably mainly due to the fact that the frequency response tends to tilt towards the bass.

Yamaha seems to give a wider sound, as if some processing is still left on even if it is turned off.

Sony is OK, but I find them susceptible to change with different speakers (The output and power system is probably not as robust as some others) so extra care needs to be taken.

Remember Hifi should reproduce the sound as accurately as possible to what was heard in the studio, however not everybody likes that, as some prefer something to be smooth, warm, rhythmic,r spacious etc. (Something I always avoid like the plague) which sums up most British Hi Fi equipment unfortunately.

Hope this helps

Bill

TRENDING THREADS