Is the Pioneer Kuro still a contender?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm not sure whether to upgrade my current Tv with a newer panel. I currently have a Pioneer PDP 5090, but would I be improving things by getting the latest Panasonic award winner? I'm not too concerned about features it's all about the picture quality for me.

Any help appreciated!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Speaking personally, I have no intention of changing my Kuro any time soon (and I suspect that goes for almost every owner on here).

A

Anonymous

I'd wait a few months to see what the new Panasonic plasmas are like, reviews should be available from next month onwards.

A

Anonymous

HI Bigboss,

Nothing's wrong with my Kuro, I'm moving out and can either leave the Pioneer and get a new TV in my new place or I can take the Pioneer with me and get new TV to leave behind in its place. If the Pioneer is still one of the best performers out there I'll take it with me, it's just that since I bought it I've lost track of how far the competition has caught up.

Thanks for the input everyone

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You'd arguably be taking a backwards or sideways step to change from your Kuro, but even if you could improve on it the improvement would be so minor as not to justify the £1500-£2000 you'd have to spend.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
FWIW, best TV I saw at Bristol was the old Kuro used in Pioneer's home cinema demo.

So much for the news rumour that two years ago, Panasonic bought Pioneer's Kuro patents/tech/employed its redundant boffins :roll:

6th.replicant said:
So much for the news rumour that two years ago, Panasonic bought Pioneer's Kuro patents/tech/employed its redundant boffins :roll:

This wasn't a rumour. Panasonic bought Kuro's patents & employed some of its engineers. Whether it uses the patents or not is an altogether different matter. Perhaps it can't afford to use them like Pioneer & merely bought them to ensure its competitors don't buy instead.

I agree with others. I'm on the same boat as you. If you're not bothered about 3D, hold on for a couple of years more.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone - I'm keeping the Pioneer.

Looked at the new Panasonic, and while it's clearly very, very good, my Kuro just seems to have the edge in its delivery of images. I also use the separate Pioneer speaker for everyday viewing, which absolutely knocks seven bells out of the Panasonic's sound.

Thanks again everyone, very helpful.

TRENDING THREADS