Is the Onkyo TX-NR609 the best £500 amp?

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Looking to spend about £500 on a home cinema amp for movies and music (prob through Spotify). The room is average size and originally the amp will be hooked up to an old pair of B&W 601's but will be upgrading to surround sound soon!

Thanks!

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
What is the "best" is going to come down to the individual. I've never really been a fan of Onkyo. They've always been know to run hot and have more HDMI handshaking issues and upscaling issues than any other brand I can think of, particularly at the budget end but I think with this year's models, they've nailed it features wise. The looks are still suspect to me but they've introduced a few new features that haven't been found at this price point, so if the likes of spotify are important, I would give them serious consideration.

With B&W, I would also have a listen to Denon, Yamaha and Marantz.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Muzza said:
Hi

Looking to spend about £500 on a home cinema amp for movies and music (prob through Spotify). The room is average size and originally the amp will be hooked up to an old pair of B&W 601's but will be upgrading to surround sound soon!

Thanks!

If you can hold off buying for about a month, we've got a Group Test of all the key contenders (Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer) at that price point coming up in our October issue, which despite its name goes on sale 24th August (posted out to subscribers 18th August).

In the meantime, you could get some serious auditioning in :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The basic convention is that if the date on the magazine coincides with the calendar month, then someone going into a shop in the middle of July and seeing a July-dated issue on sale will be less likely to buy it than if it carries an August date.

In our case it all gets a bit extreme because we publish 13 issues a year - 12 dated ones and an Awards special, so we're out every four weeks, not every month. Around this time of the year the issue dates get a bit previous, and then after the Awards issue all goes back to normal. Ish.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I think I can wait that long :)

Clare Newsome said:
Muzza said:
Hi

Thanks!

If you can hold off buying for about a month, we've got a Group Test of all the key contenders (Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer) at that price point coming up in our October issue, which despite its name goes on sale 24th August (posted out to subscribers 18th August).

Muzza said:
Hi

Thanks!

So are you planning to stick to B&W when you upgrade? You've got to do some auditioning here.

The most important rule for choosing an AV system is system matching. Every receiver will sound different with a given set of speakers. So if WHF give 5 stars to an Onkyo, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to reproduce the same performance with your set of speakers. You cannot just combine any receiver to any speaker set & expect it to perform brilliantly because the individual reviews have been great.

Use the reviews to shortlist your choice down to 2 or 3, & then demo with your speakers.

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Muzza said:
Hi

Thanks!

argggh lol I need to know within the next 3 weeks, as im almost about to by my Denon 1912 but then I hear that the Yamaha RXV671 is so much better musically with stereo. And although it does not hve airplay, the Denon has no pre-outs.

Anyone know much about the Yamaha RXV 671 or even the older model -

A

Anonymous

Looking forward to this test. I'm in the market for a new AVR to replace my ageing Denon.

Thinking either SR609 or the new Yammy 671 :bounce:

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I am thinking either the B&W MT-30's or maybe the Focal Domes, based purely on looks and the fact that I will not get away with larger speakers (wife issues!). I will audition both with the Onkyo and also a Panasonic, does this sound a reasonable combo?

bigboss said:
Muzza said:
Hi

Thanks!

So are you planning to stick to B&W when you upgrade? You've got to do some auditioning here. The most important rule for choosing an AV system is system matching. Every receiver will sound different with a given set of speakers. So if WHF give 5 stars to an Onkyo, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to reproduce the same performance with your set of speakers. You cannot just combine any receiver to any speaker set & expect it to perform brilliantly because the individual reviews have been great. Use the reviews to shortlist your choice down to 2 or 3, & then demo with your speakers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
DrizztDan said:
argggh lol I need to know within the next 3 weeks, as im almost about to by my Denon 1912 but then I hear that the Yamaha RXV671 is so much better musically with stereo. And although it does not hve airplay, the Denon has no pre-outs.

We have a three-page review of the Yamaha RX-V671 receiver in our very next issue, which is with subscribers right now and in shops/available as digital download tomorrow.

The review includes head to head comparison with last year's Yamaha RX-V667 receiver.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I picked this amp up in a shop with a closing down sale in May for £350, I didn't demo it (it runs Kef 3005) but for that money couldn't turn it down. It's an amazing bit of kit, I love the spotify and internet radio functions and seems a huge leap from my 5 year old Sony AV amp.

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
DrizztDan said:

We have a three-page review of the Yamaha RX-V671 receiver in our very next issue, which is with subscribers right now and in shops/available as digital download tomorrow.

The review includes head to head comparison with last year's Yamaha RX-V667 receiver.

good stuff I will buy and read. Good job I havent parted with my cash just yet. Denon 1912 has more compatability but musically its crap and I would prefer a system with less compatability with above average movie/ tv sound and excellent musical sound without the need for preouts

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts