Is the Grado Sr80i leaky at volume?

A

Anonymous

Hi..

First post
emotion-2.gif

I'm just selling my SR80i's for that very reason. They are great sounding headphones, but everyone else in the room gets to hear them too..

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
er.....think you are all missing the point - Grados are open back headphones, they are meant to leak sound, making it a natural sound.

Sounds like you want CLOSED BACK headphones, for no leaks - most sound worse than Open Back designs

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, just a quick one... I accept they're leaky but how leaky??? enough that people on a bus are gonna get annoyed or just something that would be noticed at home?

Sorry to hash up an ol (and highly covered thread)

Thanks

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Played on the bus at loud volume, it could bother people, yes. But played on the bus at moderate volume, would not be a great listen because all the noise in the bus would interfere with the music. Played at home at moderate volume, it would be like someone playing a TV at low volume that can still be heard.

dalethorn said:
Played on the bus at loud volume, it could bother people, yes. But played on the bus at moderate volume, would not be a great listen because all the noise in the bus would interfere with the music. Played at home at moderate volume, it would be like someone playing a TV at low volume that can still be heard.

Indeed - I've been playing music at 8 o'clock on the volume, with the TV on at normal volume and Mrs. P ordered me to turn it down as she couldn't hear the TV.

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Was looking for a good pair of medium sized travel headphones and was thinking about dealing wih slightly annoying people around me with the grados but i guess i'll probably go with the AT-ES55 or AKG-K450 now.

Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately they are very leaky.

Using some now.. Im after some headphones at the moment, have tried two pairs of Denons, a set of Pioneers, and my old Sonys. All of them are closed back and dont leak at all, but also don't sound as good as these Grado's.

But you could definately not use these on a commute or in the office I'm afraid... Its a shame :(

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The Shure SRH-940 would be a great commuter headphone - the earcups fold flat and they can be carried around the neck without having to bag them when not in use. The sound is as good as the Grado PS500 that costs more than twice as much. Very good soundstage too for a closed headphone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts