Is the Cambidge Audio CXA60 made of discrete components

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
sureesh40 said:
Hi

Does anyone know if the subject Cambridge amp is an entire discrete design.

No, not if the pictures on the web are correct.

Just out of interest, why would it matter?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I understand 'discrete' (in this sense) to mean all separate components with no chips, or PCBs and everything individually wired/soldered like you see with some valve amps.

Something like this ...

zeus75-psu-2outputs-main36v5a+bias17v500ma-1-800.jpg

It would be impossible to build the CXA60 this way because it would end up the size of a city if it's DAC was made from discrete switches!

The OP is obviously talking about some kind of dual-mono build (even though it only has one transformer).

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
I understand 'discrete' (in this sense) to mean all separate components with no chips, or PCBs and everything individually wired/soldered like you see with some valve amps.

Something like this ...

It would be impossible to build the CXA60 this way because it would end up the size of a city if it's DAC was made from discrete switches!

The OP is obviously talking about some kind of dual-mono build (even though it only has one transformer).

In engineering terms, 'discrete' is used to describe systems that don't use integrated circuits. You can have discrete circuits with PCBs.

Integrated circuits (ICs) have more than one active device per package.

There was a school of thought that somehow having separate transistors allowed more control of the design and build of the amp. I am sceptical, there are real advantages in having active components share a chip.

However the OP may well mean something else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts