Is Saving Private Ryan a must for 4K Blu-ray?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

At Zoom you can get this for £20 and I am getting very tempted how about you? Cheers.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
It gets a good review on AVforums, i have it on blu-ray and it's a great film, if you are stuck for three hours why not go for it gel.

D

Deleted member 2457

Good point Hammill.

Yep, I had been looking through the reviews too and noticed how good they were too Simon. I have just remembered with your mention of the Blu-ray I still have it too, so I think I am going to watch that first and see what I think.

Cheers guys!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
hammill said:
gel said:
At Zoom you can get this for £20 and I am getting very tempted how about you?  Cheers.    

Another US WW2 film with no mention of the British or the Russians and a daft plot? No thanks.
Its an AMERICAN film about AMERICANDS in WW2. And its based loosely on a similar story. While Private Ryan was not real, there was a man named Frederick “Fritz” Niland from the 101st Airborne Division, who Private Ryan was modeled after. 8 While there is not much information on Fritz Niland, he was one of four sons. All three of his brothers were killed in World War II, two at Utah Beach and one in Burma. His mother received all three death notifications at once. 9 There is no record of a rescue mission in search of Fritz Niland, but he was sent home to the United States from the combat zone.

I think the opening scenes portrayed the monumental clock up that Omaha Beach was, and the way the poors sods got slaughtered there. It may not be 100% accurate, but which war movie is?

Now. Why weren't there any Yanks in Dunkirk or The Dambusters? Oh wait...

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Well, I for one would say NO!

The movie starts with lots of folks being sniped and other times riddles with German bullets..... so No !

This is NEVER Any feel-good movie, it is horific tbh.

A sad Story.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Two thousand casualties (injured and killed) on Omaha beach compared to just two hundred on Utah.

The Britsh suffered around 1000 casualties on both Sword and Gold.

The Canadians had just over 900 casualties on Juno beach.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Well, I for one would say NO!

The movie starts with lots of folks being sniped and other times riddles with German bullets..... so No !

This is NEVER Any feel-good movie, it is horific tbh.

A sad Story.

It was never made to be a feel good movie, I think the director tried to tell it how it was, especially the opening scenes.

I think people should watch it to see what those poor sods went through for you and I.

Its almost an anti-war movie.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Nearest anyone got in my immediate family was my maternal grandfather. He was the engine room Chief Petty Officer on a Royal Navy submarine. At low tide his sub was run in as far as it could to put the beachmasters ashore on one of the British beaches. Then they had to wait for high tide so the sub could refloat and make its escape.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
Good point Hammill.

Yep, I had been looking through the reviews too and noticed how good they were too Simon.  I have just remembered with your mention of the Blu-ray I still have it too, so I think I am going to watch that first and see what I think.  

Cheers guys!

You already have it on Blu-ray
Lol

D

Deleted member 2457

Great review! Cheers Simon.
thumbs_up.png

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Well to begin with , this isn't such a Great movie tbh.

Another MEGA-OVER-HYPED Movie.... truth be told.

DID I LIKE IT....... darn tooting I did, Yes !

Is it a Great film, erm..... no

The Longest Day.............. THAT is a Great Movie.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The Longest Day was supposed to be a (more or less) accurate portrayal of D-Day history. Saving Private Ryan was fiction. Big difference. Like comparing Apollo 13 to a Star Trek movie. Well. Almost.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Well I most heartedly AGREE Mr Benedict Arnold....... yes Indeed, 'The Longest Day' , for me anyway....... was a Far Superior Movie Than Saving Ryan.

The Ryan movie was more concerned with trying to show blood & guts imho.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
^The 1962 "they" wouldn't have been allowed to portray the slaughter on Omaha Beach the way the 1998 (yes the movie really is 20 years old now) "they" were able to. Wouldn't have got past the censors.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Most agreed Benedict_Arnold, you are most corresct sir.

OP question is 'is it a Must-Buy ?' ...... If you like blood and guts, I'd say yes, most deff but it's not a nice movie in fairness is all and not too Great. (imo) I do have it on blu-ray all the same.

Do you have this movie on blu-ray at all gel ?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have just watched it again (upscaled from 2K I admit).

And I have come to two major conclusions:

1. After the D-Day landing and other action scenes it's mostly pants.

2. All that being said, I NEED A BIGGER SCREEN :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Think they added back in a few scenes that got cut in the 1998 version. Probably because they were just too gory even for 1998. Thank you GoT for putting the gore back in gory!

Its been remastered from the 35 mm FILM used to shoot the original, I think, and its noticeably sharper (mostly) throughout.

The Atmos soundtrack is very very good, although there aren't too may places where it really comes into play other than the battle scenes at the beginning and end. The "horizontal" soundfield is amazing though.

By chance I met a gentleman last week whose father was in the second wave to land at Omaha Beach. He said his father couldn't watch the movie because the carnage depicted was so close to the horrible reality.

If you like war movies and can set aside the semi fictitious story, the movie gets 9.8/10 from me. Its one of the best 4K BDs I've bought.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
WAY better than any of the "Marvel Comic Book Superhero You've Never Heard of Before vs The Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band" CGI cartoons so dominant at the movies these days, and that's for sure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts