Is rock n roll and thing of the past?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197450
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 197450

Depends what you mean by the term, I would suggest. If you'd just said rock I'd say no, but rock n roll implies something very old fashioned, to me at least.
I suppose I meant rock and I suppose I meant is there going to be a new breed of bands to take the baton from all the legendary bands, who let‘s face it are getting seriously old now.

DCarmi

Old music does not really die. It morphs and changes with the times and yet it remains static in recordings and covers. A couple of years or so ago, I saw Tubular Bells for Two, which was a most excellent show.

You get innumerable Beatles tribute acts. You can go to one of many retro Jazz festivals. There are Jazz and Blues pubs, playing live music. You have successful artists like Jamie Cullum and Michael Buble producing new music, in the "old style".

Whether you'll ever get a new Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd or Led Zep, is debatable. Whether you want them may also be debatable. However, their music will continue to sell and influence other artists and be covered. So perhaps something with a hint of Led Zep, which itself was based on a hint of Blues?

So the answer is "not really".

doifeellucky

It is perhaps less mainstream, or specifically what makes it into the abomination that is the present UK top 40, but having used the Spotify Discovery feature for 6 or 7 years, I’d say rock, possibly a bit on the heavier side, is doing well. However I’d say the longevity of current bands is significantly less, but then Faith No More, one of my first LP purchases, have been around for about 40 years.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i ´ve seen a lot of new bands who play revival rock´n´roll but either than those refered there are hundreds of new bands ,if you have spotify one can loose himself in a lot of bands that are not big sellers but heard all over the world and with great quality ,not just a remake of good old bands but others with a modern twist, today i heard a new band to me "Black Sky Giant" that they call them jazz rock but incredible good ,well played not boring , as many others

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
what age have to do with the record being released now or more than 50 years ago ,it changes what?i think age as nothing to do with the date of release of a record,if i buy a new record being 20 or 60 years old it´s still a new record if one buys a 1971 rock LP is still old or even bought in the 90´s ,didn´t get your point of view and i know a lot of kids that are listening to led zepellin, black sabbath and the records don´t become new and they know that they are old, Rock´n´roll is a thing of all ages like classical music , it can be hundreds of years old and there are kids that listen to it and if a new record is released by a composer it´s still new music ,not assigning music styles to different age groups or generations. When young i used to listen to my father´s records and i knew they were old ,it´s written on one side of the cover, regards

Feb 26, 2022
Visit site
It needs a renaissance. Most commercial rock music has been essentially brain dead for the past 20 years. Same sound, no distinction, no pushing new boundaries.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
The problem is people not having the trouble of looking on internet for bands only buy what the main labels release and play in those radio rock stations .I used to writte to the U.S. and to England and after 15 to 20 days i would have the answer or like sst records they would send me all of the band recordings and some other that they might thought it were similar on style. D.O.A. started in the 80´s and keep releasing records but still being a 40 years band is not known as Rage Against the Machine or more recently Greta Van Fleet but the best rock album of the 90´s was 13 flavours of doom, in my opinion,

ruzicacavic

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
I think that R'n'R evolved as a genre.

You won't hear much "classic" rock nowadays, but you will hear more rock than ever (because of social media).

But music genres cannot die. There will always be people who listen to one specific genre and spread it among their friends. :)

Reactions: Rui

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Rock went the way Jazz went, both popular music of their decades.
Which decades ,rock is the main style all over the world, other styles come and go ,Rock`n`Roll is always being refered because of new bands every year ,not talking about Bill Haley and the Comets or Buddy Holly but several new bands being heard every year by younger generations ,all with some revival feeling, I worked in a radio station and was a dj for 35 years and i do know wich styles were asked in diferent decades ,in the 90´s i used to make my own psychedelic trance than changed to a more minimal electro with some analog instruments sounds mixed also bass lines, maybe my favorite Era , late 90´s and early 2000´s .In the late 70´s and 80´s was more house music but always evolving ,don´t know if anyone remenber´s the Madchester years , the Acid Movement with bands like Happy Mondays and New Order being remixed as an example. Mainstream music is heard by teenagers and forgoten after a couple of years, allthough some new early 2000´s bands showed a lot of character and personality by mixing everything and making a lot of catchy tunes

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Rock n roll is just no longer the most popular form of music but that it not mean that is a thing of the past. In the past classical music was the most popular form of music and in the past jazz was but they are no longer the most popular forms of music today but that does not mean millions don't still love classical and jazz music and want to make those types of music. Tastes and styles are always changing. Millions still love rock n roll music and still want to make rock n roll music and always will so rock n roll music will never be a thing of the past ,it just means it will never be the most popular form of music again that's all.

alexlorance

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Numerous enthusiasts contend that rock 'n' roll is still very much alive and continues to be a significant genre. They cite the numerous bands and artists who continue to produce and perform rock music like structural consultancy. These advocates posit that although rock may no longer reign supreme on the mainstream charts as it once did, it has discovered novel avenues for artistic expression through independent labels, local scenes, and devoted fan bases.

Gray

Numerous enthusiasts contend that rock 'n' roll is still very much alive and continues to be a significant genre. They cite the numerous bands and artists who continue to produce and perform rock music like structural consultancy. These advocates posit that although rock may no longer reign supreme on the mainstream charts as it once did, it has discovered novel avenues for artistic expression through independent labels, local scenes, and devoted fan bases.
Who else thinks the above was the product of Artificial Intelligence?
Vote now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts