IS ONKYO TX-SR875 TOO GOOD FOR KEF3005SE SPEAKERS?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there I have recently purchased a Panasonic TX32-LXD700 and am about to purchase the KEF3005SE speakers (this combination was the best compromise with the wife over the amount of space everything would take up!). I now need to know what would be bet to partner the tv and speakers? I am considering future-proofing as far as possible, in addiion to getting the most out of my current set-up. I have read a couple of other threads about the Onkyo AV recievers and Marantz DVD players and they have left me a little confused, so to try to put things simply, for my simple mind!

Would the Onkyo TX-SR875 + Marantz DV7001 combination be too good for my set-up? If so would the TX-SR605 + DV6001 be a better match, or is there something in-betwen, (e.g. 705, 805?). My priorities and movie picture and sound performance on an equal par, with as good a cd/mp3 player performance as possible.

Cheers.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="marshal478"]Would the Onkyo TX-SR875 + Marantz DV7001 combination be too good for my set-up?[/quote]

Not at all! The KEF KHT-3005SE speakers were our 2007 Product of the Year and will work superbly with the Onkyo TX-SR875, as will the Marantz DV7001 which is a cracking DVD player. Sounds like a fab system to me.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...Though that's not to say you wouldn't get even better results from the Onkyo with even better speakers (said he, currently running an 875 through about eight grand's worth of PMCs!)

A

Anonymous

Impressive!!!!

Now, if you'll just mark them down to the same price as the KEFs as "ex-demo"...................... I'll gladly take them off your hands! ;-)

A

Anonymous

Hi Ketch,

You can't go far wrong with that combination in all fairness. I have heard the pairing at many a dealer up and down the country and it's mighty impressive.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys - I guess I'll be spending more than double what I expected to then! Still at least that will cheer the wife up a bit! :)

A

Anonymous

Well I now have the said speakers and amp, and have tried to connect them to one another using QEd's Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable. However, I'm nut sure whether or not I'm being ham-fisted but the cable just seems to 'bunch up' when I try to insert it at the AV terminal (Yes I did unscrew the terminal before I tried!!!). Is there a connector that you would recommend such as banana plugs, or whatever, that would make a better connection and that are compatible with the amp (there were no options to use a connector in the instruction manual).

Also, I have been a little confused by some other threads regarding what cable is best to connect the DVD player to the Amp. I thought the best sound and picture quality, for DVD and CD use, came from a single HDMI cable - one from DVD player to amp and another from amp to TV? I have now read that this is not the best way to do it and that I need a digital Coax cable. Could someone please help me to clear this up and also recommend specific cables.

Thanks again, can't wait to get it all set up properly this weekend!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you can solder on banana plugs at the amp end, or use ones like these which can either be soldered or attached with a little internal grub-screw

or these which are even easier to screw on.

They're available from Maplin and similar component and accessory shops, or good hi-fi retailers should have them.

Pull the blanking plugs out of the end of the terminals on the rear of the amp - the picture below shows the terminals with the blanking plugs out, so you pull off the right thing! - and you can just push the banana plugs in.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks, would this improve the sound or make no difference?

What is your opinion on best sound and vision connections for DVDs/CDs from DVD player to amp?

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably wouldn't improve the sound, but will make a more solid connection, with less chance of things coming loose.

DVD player HDMI audio if available, or electrical digital for preference or optical digital if you have to.

CD player depends on the player - if it's reasonable, then the player's own digital to analogue conversion will probably be better than that in the receiver, so you should use stereo analogue connections; if it's a bit ropey try a digital link between the two and save for a better player.

A

Anonymous

Out of curiosity (as I am looking to purchase exactly the same set-up as you, even down to the choice of cabling!)..........

...........how much did you pay for the lot and where from?

Apologies if this does sound a bit cheeky, but I'm on the hunt for the best UK deal I can get.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]CD player depends on the player[/quote]

Sorry about the confusion. I will be using a Marantz DV7001 as both the DVD and CD player. So I'll get whatever award winning HDMI cable you recommend for connection to the amp. Will this be the best for CD music from DVD player or will I require a different connector for normal stereo CD music. Apologies for so many questions but I want to get it all right!

Ta

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ketch"]Apologies if this does sound a bit cheeky, but I'm on the hunt for the best UK deal I can get.[/quote]
emotion-3.gif
Cheeky monkey!

My circumstances are possibly a little unusual in that I have an IV postcode (Highlands, Scotland) which clearly means that some kind of highly expensive vehicle powered by uber-unleaded has to deliver things up here as the delivery costs outweigh any 'tinternet deals!

That said, shop around on the web and you should find some good deals, compared to the list price in the What HiFi magazine. If you live close to one of the retailers then it is also worth going in the shop and seeing what they are prepared to offer. I personally went to a Practical HiFi shop and got around about 15-20% off the lot, which isn't too bad I suppose.

Happy hunting!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]picture below shows the terminals with the blanking plugs out, so you pull off the right thing! - and you can just push the banana plugs in.[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I have checked the back of the 875 and it looks slightly different to the above picture, with the screw terminals having a fairly solid black, solid, center. I don't particularly want to go ripping things off with my pliers if they're not meant to come off!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="marshal478"]
I will be using a Marantz DV7001 as both the DVD and CD player. So I'll get whatever award winning HDMI cable you recommend for connection to the amp. Will this be the best for CD music from DVD player or will I require a different connector for normal stereo CD music.[/quote]

No, the HDMI will be fine. I'd suggest Chord HDMI 1.3 Silver Plus, at about £60-70.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]picture below shows the terminals with the blanking plugs out, so you pull off the right thing! - and you can just push the banana plugs in.[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I have checked the back of the 875 and it looks slightly different to the above picture, with the screw terminals having a fairly solid black, solid, center. I don't particularly want to go ripping things off with my pliers if they're not meant to come off!

[/quote]

The black centre is a bung. It can be removed easily with a wood screw i.e. screw into the end of the bung and then gently pull to reveal the banana plug hole!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cheers dude - I'll go have a look!

[/quote]

Or just use the edge of a pen-knife blade to prize the lip on the edge of the blanking plug free, and then you can pull it out easily with your fingers.

Ah, another sponsorship opportunity...

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, I've managed to get the bungs out cheers.

However I have now stumbled across another problem - there seems to be plenty of threads on HDMI problems with the Marantz DV7001 player? I must admit that this is putting me off buying it. I really don't see how the picture can be so fantastic if the HDMI input is faulty? Can anyone recommend an alternative before I waste my money on a 5-star product that doesn't appear to work as advertised?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts