is old better than new

MRJDS01

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
For the last 20 yrs or so I've been listening to my cds through a Micromega stage 6 with a Music Fidelity X10-D, Arcam Alpha 9 amp and Mission 751 speakers and I think its time I changed the player before it gives up the ghost on me as they didn't have a great reputation for reliability although I have been lucky with mine. Now I'm thinking of changing it for the Marantz CD6005 and leaving out the MF X10-D and I was wondering if this would be an improvement,any ideas before I go listening. Thanks for any advice.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that you'd be making a step in the right direction. I've read good things about the the Stage 6, and reports seem to suggest that they are still easily servicable and upgradeable. Decent examples of the player still sell for upto £500, which is £150 more than the Marantz, and I have no idea how much the Micromega was when it was knew, but it's a moderately high-end bit of kit. The X10-D was supposed to do some magic things to the output stages of CD players, so the 2 components together must sound pretty special, one imagines..? That's just it though - I can only imagine. Best thing would be to get yourself a home demo and see for yourself.

T

the record spot

Well, from memory, the Stage 1 back in 1995 was around £500 I think. The Stage 3 must have been around £900. A pal of mine had the Stage 1 and it was very nice. It was upgradeable too which was an attractive feature for buyers, so you could start off with Stage 1 and upgrade as finances (and need) permitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts