Is my equipment running in?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello fellow enthusiasts, Just a quick question, my Beresford DAC arrived today along with a new digital cable, can I run these in without having my amp actually on? What I have set up currently is the CD player on repeat with the cable plugged into the DAC which is connected to the amp, but the amp is not on. Im guessing this will run it in just the same but thought I would ask just in case I was wasting my time.

A

Anonymous

Electronic components and cables don't need to be run in.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Masterbluster"]Electronic components and cables don't need to be run in.
[/quote]

And therefore any changes you hear after you've been using the equipment for a while is just down to your own stupidity and gullibility, OK?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="Masterbluster"]Electronic components and cables don't need to be run in.
[/quote]

And therefore any changes you hear after you've been using the equipment for a while is just down to your own stupidity and gullibility, OK?

[/quote]
Nope, it's your ears adapting to the sound you hear.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Everyone else is wrong and Masterbluster is right. Wow, it must be great being you![/quote]

You see, take his thinking to its logical conclusion and all equipment sounds the same - after all, your ears will adapt to it.

£30 Asda micro-system, anyone?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Everyone else is wrong and Masterbluster is right. Wow, it must be great being you![/quote]

I thought that ears adapting to sound was common knowledge. Do you have a better explanation?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I'll wait for the WHF group test thanks. The Tesco one may be better value.
emotion-5.gif

Anyway, more to the point, is he wasting electricity and increasing his carbon footprint? Are we hi-fi buffs a little blas‚ about how much power we use?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]You see, take his thinking to its logical conclusion and all equipment sounds the same[/quote]

I'm saying that a very subtle perceived improvement attributed by a few as running or burning in is more logically attributed to the well known characteristics of the human ear.

How is that anything like saying that all equipment sounds the same?
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

.....and back to the actual question....I didn't think my Beresford needed running in but that's just me. Why don't you ask Stan, I'm sure he'll help with any of your queries?

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fairly new to this forum but isn't that a bit OTT? The guy makes what he believes to be a true and accurate statement and gets a put down like that from the consulting editor.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I 'ran in' my Beresfo*rd DAC. Didnt bother with my new amp...
Took about the same time to get the same 'settled in' feel'
My speakers on the other hand took weeks.

Running in is essential for speakers.... I think its more 'running in your ears' with electrical components...

As for running in an Asda micro...well...LCD

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site

You see, take his thinking to its logical conclusion and all equipment sounds the same - after all, your ears will adapt to it.

£30 Asda micro-system, anyone?

[/quote]

In fact it looks like you are saying, a Primare (for example) CD player and a Asda micro system sound the same at first, but the Primare 'blossoms' into a fine sounding player with running in?....Taking it to it's illogical conclusion...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="doc42"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fairly new to this forum but isn't that a bit OTT? The guy makes what he believes to be a true and accurate statement and gets a put down like that from the consulting editor.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Andrew was being ironic. Other than that, im staying out of this one.

John Duncan

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Check out MB's other posts, and you may get why.

A

Anonymous

Well and truly hijacked, but thanks to all those constructive comments.

And to report back to gpi's question, I'm enjoying the results. Listening to Radiohead's nude I notice extra detail in the track and it seems to hide the harshness of the top end, before my system seemed to accentuate this too much. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, half of my music is PC based and I can't believe I was ever content with how it sounded before.

A

Anonymous

I'm going to have to say the DAC run-in probably is placebo. (Sorry Andrew). The device doesn't run at any temperature like a speaker or amp so thermal run-in changing conductivity and inductance properties of internals is a no-go.

I should also point out that science isn't democratic. So the WHF group tests really can't be looked to as any sort of evidence in matters quantitative. Qualitative, say, sound quality they're a valid source. But to put forth that a group test hears a Run-in on a DAC as evidence of run-in actually happening is spurious.

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's par for the course.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Brisk"]Well and truly hijacked, but thanks to all those constructive comments.[/quote]

It's always a pleasure to help.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Brisk"]Well and truly hijacked, but thanks to all those constructive comments.

And to report back to gpi's question, I'm enjoying the results. Listening to Radiohead's nude I notice extra detail in the track and it seems to hide the harshness of the top end, before my system seemed to accentuate this too much. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, half of my music is PC based and I can't believe I was ever content with how it sounded before.[/quote]

I've heard a lot of positive comments about the Beresford and often wonder if adding to my humble Denon will improve things. It has an optical line out so what sort of quality cable will I need? I do have a spare one I used with our PS2, to link it to the surround sound (games were great) but I did a vanman and took it apart to try to clean the laser (it wouldn't read discs), found the transport was a sealed unit and couldn't get it back together again. It didn't go bang though and I didn't try to solder other parts onto it.
emotion-4.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"]I've heard a lot of positive comments about the Beresford and often wonder if adding to my humble Denon will improve things[/quote]

You have a great little player. It has a 'joy de vivre' lacking in most players nowadays. Customer just traded one in recently and I thought it aint half bad. Can't comment on the beresford but if its in the usual 'upsampler' style it'll add a bit of the ususal phasey width at cost to solidity and drive but I may be wrong there. The only thing you can usefully improve is treble with denons, a bit cold/thin sometimes but I think it has a lot to do with what amps you partner them with. For some reason they (seem) to kick out a lot of HF noise above the customary 20khz cut off filter point which some newer 'wide band' amps pick up.

A

Anonymous

It has an optical line IN not out, hence the digital-to-analogue converter. I'm using a co-axial cable (I think that what its called) not a optical, one of the Gotham ones, see (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/UK-CBE) and a gotham phono. All I can say is give it a try, this is what I was doing, if your not happy you can send it back within the first week of purchase. I always stay away from the screwdriver, I've never managed to open anything up and get it working afterwards lol.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Brisk"]It has an optical line IN not out, hence the digital-to-analogue converter. I'm using a co-axial cable (I think that what its called) not a optical, one of the Gotham ones, see (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/UK-CBE) and a gotham phono. All I can say is give it a try, this is what I was doing, if your not happy you can send it back within the first week of purchase. I always stay away from the screwdriver, I've never managed to open anything up and get it working afterwards lol.[/quote]

Hi Brisk, I was talking about my Denon cdp, that has a digital output jack (optical) for connection to a digital processor or CD recorder.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts