Is it woth upgrading my Panasonic BD-80 to a Sony BDP-5000ES?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there i have at present a Panasonic BD-80 blu ray player, i have seen many deals on the Sony BDP-5000ES is it worth upgrading to? Will the picture quality be that much better etc? I have at present a Samsung LE946 LCD 1080p tv. Failing that if you were to upgrade and you didnt buy the Sony what would you buy?

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
krayzeejohnnyb1975,

The BDP-S5000ES will indeed provide a jump in performance from a visual and sonic perspective but don't expect it to be a 'night and day' difference - it will nevertheless be superior.

At £599.00, the BDP- S5000ES is extremely good value (IMO) and is worth considering if your budget allows it.

Ronald

A

Anonymous

The biggest difference IMO between this player and the lower Sony's will be mainly the sound.

So you need to decide whether your AVR and speakers are of a quality to appreciate the upgrade this player will offer.

But even saying that, £599 does represent excellent value for this player.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
As you can see i am the owner of a DMP-BD80. Had no intention of changing it until it 'died' last week. Didn't want to spend a fortune so i purchased a Sony S370 for less than ?100. Not the biggest Sony fan but have to admit the picture from the Sony is considerably cleaner with far greater detail retrieval and far better handling of motion than my old Panny. At first contrast seemed lower but once i calibrated with THX disc it showed up better than the Panny. DVD scaling is also a much, much cleaner. Would say that the P4 engine in the Panny maybe finds a few more pixels but the Sony produces a much improved 'smoother' image. Sound- not as punchy as the Panny in 'High Clarity' mode, but i find seperation better and less distortion.

Save you're money and get an S370. WHF and all the others on here have been spot on with their reviews/ approvals of this player.

I was originally looking to save for a Marantz 7004 but can no longer see the point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts