is it worth selling my pioneer vsx d2011 for the sony strda1200 please reply

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello iv had my pioneer for about 4 years now and its served me well but i like the sound of the sony and was wondering if its worth replacing my pioneer for? will i hear a big improvement in sound. i use the kht 2005.2 speakers. please reply

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

We found the Sony was clearly superior - in terms of detail, scale, refinement and power, even music replay - than any of its contemporaries (and a good few pricier rivals, too), so i'm sure you'd notice a big improvement over your older amp. Great in its day, but occasionally you get a product like the Sony that raises the bar for everything else.

HOWEVER.... if you're not desparate to buy right now, i'd hold off a couple of months: we're starting to get all the next-gen receivers into our testing rooms for Awards judging, and there's some exciting stuff around, including the new Onkyos, updated Denons and a couple of new Sonys, too.

On the other hand, if you do want to buy right now, you might bag yourself a superb end-of-line deal on the Sony - which isn't going to stop being a superb AV receiver overnight.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
As I seem to be on a bit of bargain hunt today, spotted Richer Sounds offering the Sony for £300 (rrp £400). Might be worth giving them a call.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Hi there,
you might bag yourself a superb end-of-line deal on the Sony - which isn't going to stop being a superb AV receiver overnight.[/quote]

Although Sony says it has not plans as yet to discontinue the STR-DA1200ES, even if the new STR-DG910 does seem to offer a very competitive specification, plus HD Audio capability.

A

Anonymous

No way fella dont do it! i recon there some agenda here ;-) the vsx 2011 is a much better amp than the 1200es! honest ive heard them back to back!

A

Anonymous

Agenda bit twas only a joke! But i really think the poineer out amps the sony i currently own an 2011 and demo'd the 1200es at my home for a couple of days and really didnt think it did a great job keeping a grip on funky basslines, Saying that the 2011 isnt that great but still does a better job than the sony. Just my two penny's!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And you know what? I think I'd agree with you. The Pioneer was a very good piece of equipment when launched, and I'm sure still is, but it was the better part of a grand, and the Sony is much less expensive.

To make a sensible step-up, I'd suggest you'd be better off thinking in terms of again spending about the original price of the Pioneer - but do hold off for a while, as there are some very interesting receivers either just arrived or on the way in that area of the market.

A

Anonymous

i agree you should wait, a lot of new recievers with HDMI 1.3 are on the horizon that can not only decode 7.1 or 5.1 PCM but also the true high-def audio formats DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

i second that the new Onkyo 605 is a great reciver or the next one up, the new 805 which has THX certification

-Lewis

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts