Is it time to buy a new TV?

Greendude

Dec 2, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I bought a very expensive (for me) Panasonic Viera TX-P50VT20B back in 2010, it was about £2300. This tv has served me well and I have no complaints about it.

However, I bought my girlfriend a tv for the bedroom last christmas. It was a Samsung UE43RU7400. It cost £400. I am stunned by the quality of the picture for such a small amount.

My circumstances have changed and I can no longer spend large amounts on a tv so I have found what looks to be a bargain. A Samsung UE43TU8500 for £359.

My question is this: Is a well regarded but lower mid-range 4k tv like the Samsung UE43TU8500 better than my high-end but aging 1080p Panasonic TX-P50VT20B? Is a tv that costs £359 really better than a tv that cost £2300 when I bought it? Has technology moved on so much that the price difference is irrelevant? Am I upgrading or downgrading?

You're comparing a 10-year old plasma TV (which goes dim with time) with an LCD TV. Besides, prices have fallen dramatically. You can buy a 55-inch OLED TV for less than £900 which will give you high end performance.

The key difference with lower range LCD TVs will be blacks in the dark. They won't show as true black but as grey. Also, shadow details within blacks is another area lower range LCD TVs struggle with.

Reactions: Al ears

Greendude

Dec 2, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I did suspect the newer cheap tv would win out. The £400 tv in our bedroom looks as good, probably better really, than my main tv and I think my brain just needed confirmation that this was the case. I'm gonna stick with my trusty Panasonic until it dies I think because 1080p is still enough for most of sky tv and I've been perfectly happy with it but I am also gonna buy the Samsung UE43TU8500 for my son's room because it's just such good value at £359.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts