Is It Really Worth Paying The Extra For 1080p ?

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Its just a thought and only that , as i own a 1080p Tv . It was mentioned in a previous thread is HD Ready Tv's Dead ? but i've seen in the new range of Tv's that they are still making HD Ready Tv's and if you take the panny 42X which is 720p how good is it compared to the more expensive 1080p Tv's

Now with all the HD talk with freeview , freesat and sky they are all shown in 720p and even apple Tv HD is in 720p are we really benefiting from 1080p ? unless your a Blu Ray user or have the bandwidth to download full HD films of the net i don't see any real benefits , am i the only one thinking like this or am i thinking to much ?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
If you don't own a Blu Ray player, or plan to own one in the near future, then there doesn't seem much point in upgrading (for now at least). If you do, however, then you can tell the difference, though some would quibble over this point with sets up to 42".

A

Anonymous

I thought Sky HD was 1080i?

I actually have a Pana 42X10 (720p) and an older 42PZ700 (1080p). I don't really like the X10 and it's getting ditched today when I get my spanking new 50G20.
emotion-2.gif

It's not that the X10 picture is rubbish it's just that the PZ700 is noticably better. I mainly watch HD content in the form of Sky HD, little bit of Blu Ray and also upscaled DVDs. If you're coming from a CRT set then you'll prob be blown away by a 720p set with HD content, but if you see both sets side by side you'd pick out the 1080p set every time with HD. Also I prefer watching Freeview SD on the 1080p set. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Make your own mind up.

landzw:
Its just a thought and only that , as i own a 1080p Tv . It was mentioned in a previous thread is HD Ready Tv's Dead ? but i've seen in the new range of Tv's that they are still making HD Ready Tv's and if you take the panny 42X which is 720p how good is it compared to the more expensive 1080p Tv's

Now with all the HD talk with freeview , freesat and sky they are all shown in 720p and even apple Tv HD is in 720p are we really benefiting from 1080p ? unless your a Blu Ray user or have the bandwidth to download full HD films of the net i don't see any real benefits , am i the only one thinking like this or am i thinking to much ?

SD pictures look better on 720p (HD ready) sets, because they're not upscaled as much as compared to 1080p (full HD) sets. HD sources (Sky HD - 1080i & blu-ray player - 1080p) will obviously look better on full HD sets. On HD ready sets, the images are forced to downscale to 720p, cause some loss in quality.

Sky HD, Freeview HD & Freesat HD all support 1080i. Broadcasters are free to choose the format that best suits their mix of programmes (720p or 1080i).

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I have the Panny 50X10 model and happy with it.

Would have I liked a Full HD model? sure, but at the time FHD prices were obscene, and whene I compared the 50X side-by-side with a FHD Panny (with blu-ray, no less), I couldn't see much of a difference, certainly not one that justified an extra several hundred of pounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts