Is it proper hifi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DCarmi

Marantz Melody is not Hi-Fi. It is a top-self mini system without speakers.
I think I'd disagree. I don't believe hi-fi is a "thing" it is a "scale". Given the term hi-fi was first used in the 1930s and related to then recording techniques and shellac discs, I suspect the Melody does a comparatively sterling job.

I think Penguin is correct when they say the Melody could beat some budget separates. I know my Denon unit beats most of my previous "hi-fi" from past years. I certainly don't wince when I compare it to my other system (RP3/Elys2, PM6006). Compared to the high-end stuff in some signatures, I am sure it would seem somewhat weedy, which is why I suggest hi-fi is as scale.

record_spot

These days, my gear in my signature is mostly unused. Kenwood CD player, Thorens turntable and phono stage, while the occasional Blu-ray goes on the 752BD universal player, but mostly, movies come via my TV and the usual streaming providers.

The AVI active speakers and the Cambridge 200M DAC are what I use. I play flac files of my own ripped CDs via the USB Audio Pro app from my phone via USB-C to USB-B input on the DAC.

Is it hifi? Yes.

Does it sound good? Absolutely.

Witterings

Persoanlly I don't think this will compete with "Proper HiFi" as the type of person that buys good quality seperates for their main system will probably always continue to do so and will enjoy switching out various components / upgrading bit by bit.

I think this would appeal to the same person though as a secondary system in say a kitchen living area or study where they're still looking for decent quality but more "lifestyle" and may consider it as a higher end alternative to the likes of Sonos.

I think it could also be easily sold to people with reasonable desposible income that like decent quality gear but don't want full seperates and again sell it as better than say Sonos.

I currently have a Denon M39 in my Kitchen / Living area which I've recently upgraded the speakers for, if that broke I'd look at something like this as a replacement.

Last edited:
These days, my gear in my signature is mostly unused. Kenwood CD player, Thorens turntable and phono stage, while the occasional Blu-ray goes on the 752BD universal player, but mostly, movies come via my TV and the usual streaming providers.

The AVI active speakers and the Cambridge 200M DAC are what I use. I play flac files of my own ripped CDs via the USB Audio Pro app from my phone via USB-C to USB-B input on the DAC.

Is it hifi? Yes.

Does it sound good? Absolutely.
Active or powered speakers is hi-fi, I was referring to all-in-one units you plonk on top of a microwave or bedside cabinet or you can take down the shops and play music isn't IMO.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
For me one box systems only really make sense when there the size of naim uniti atom or NAD m10
All in ones like the unit star or moon systems theres just no real benefit purly from a size point of view

sound wise there great

The question is are people looking for just add speakers systems or do they want the Sonos type systems

And this is were there is a whole in the market, a system that sounds as good a kef ls50 wireless but has the software of a Sonos system and can be easily networked across the entire house with with multi zonal capabilities. If they were to produce a system like that I think a lot of people would snap that up.

just my useless hot take.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The combo presented by the OP is more like "My Second/Third Hi-Fi System" for vinyl playback, considering the £1000 turntable. For digital sources, it is no more than "First Hi-Fi system".

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The offering will be titled "My First Hi-Fi system" in the sense Second, Third, etc is going up in the quality scale. That is what I gather at least. Because why would you go to a second system if it isn't better?

Reactions: WayneKerr
The offering will be titled "My First Hi-Fi system" in the sense Second, Third, etc is going up in the quality scale. That is what I gather at least. Because why would you go to a second system if it isn't better?
i see what you mean.
Misinterpreted. I took second hifi system to be a cheaper one that someone might place in the bedroom not a progression from the first.....

Reactions: WayneKerr

record_spot

Active or powered speakers is hi-fi, I was referring to all-in-one units you plonk on top of a microwave or bedside cabinet or you can take down the shops and play music isn't IMO.

I was really referring to the DAC funnily enough. That's the centre of the stereo these days, or at least the hub. Everything goes through that and the source is a file passed via an app in hi-res or native DSD from a phone in this case.

TRENDING THREADS