Is he nuts, no but its a close call.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm sorry i cannot provide pictures nor can i be blamed/sued or othewise burned for explosions/fires or loss of hardware.

My liittle "upgrade" is for soundcards only, so most of you can let out a breath of air. And a sigh of relief.

So here goes, you can reuse your AntiStatic bags to shield your sound card's. There i said it. By cutting slits into the bag you can fit into the PCI/e ports. And they protect them from harmful RF and EMI thats rife within the PC.

I have tried this on two sound cards the RME DIGI96/8 Pad and the SW1000XG. The highs are less nasel and the sound is detailed. I have had positive results. And you might too.

Remember if your crazy like me to try this then the max temp for these bags are 60c, so if you think your sound card or near by hardware is getting over that, maybe its not such a wise idea. My 4870x2 is over 60c at idle and over 80c when crunching data and there is 5cm or less between the Antistatic bag and it. And its good so-far.

I would like to hear whether you think it make any difference to sound quality given the sound cards are built with interference in-mind.

Take care and good luck

A

Anonymous

Well well, very clever idea. I have been having some trouble with my soundcard and interference recently, see my thread 'Grounding issue?', but it was an integrated soundcard on my motherboard. I have since purchased a new soundcard that has not had any issues yet, fingers crossed, but I may give this a try.

I have no clue how hot it runs, is there any way to tell? I guess for the perfect fit its best to use the same bag that came with the card in the first place?

I hope this provides a cheap solution for anyone having issues, I know a few who are. I will update when I give it a go.

Keep up the good work.

A

Anonymous

Brisk:I have no clue how hot it runs, is there any way to tell? .
Well if its warm to touch its probably ok, I know my 4870x2 runs at 60c internally and its burns to touch it.
Andrew Everard:This does sound rather like a fire hazard to me.Andrew is right this is potentially fire hazard and could ruin expensive gear, and so on.

A

Anonymous

Nice idea. Even if it doesn't pose a fire risk, no doubt it'll shorten the life of the sound card. Still, in pursuit of perfection an' all that.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Nice idea. Even if it doesn't pose a fire risk, no doubt it'll shorten the life of the sound card. Still, in pursuit of perfection an' all that.

Perfection .

Bye Igglebert.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Agreed Igg - avoid. Heat build up is an issue in nearly all PCs, let alone after insulating them!!

If RFI is a problem with your current PC, get a USB soundcard/DAC.

Sorted...and no fire risk.

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast: get a USB soundcard/DAC.
Good idea Fatboyslimfast.

A

Anonymous

igglebert: no doubt it'll shorten the life of the sound card.

Compared to what my GPU, no. The sound card never gets hot enough to cause any shortening of life.

fatboyslimfast: If RFI is a problem with your current PC.

RFI is a problem with all PC's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts