Is "Emulating a band" the top audiophile level's goal?

AJM1981

There is something at the top level audiophiles "club" which I hope most of us will never dive into.

I have been for a long time wondering what would drive people to invest loads and loads in a setup scathering out all different components and keep tinkering. But recently watching a clip online made it quite clear. They want to emulate a band instead and say "it is just like someone / a band is playing right here". And that is why they get tribal if someone starts about an opinion about just speakers.

In parallel ways people craft out formula 1 car simulators to the finest details instead of going to a race track. And I get this to some extend in other hobbies but in audio I find this search for an uncanny holy grail a little weird.

abacus

An audiophile for me is someone who tries to get their systems sounding the best they can (Making it sound like the real thing is irrelevant for them) and so never enjoy the music for what it is, as they are constantly changing parts to get what they want to the point that they believe everything makes a difference even if it just the placebo effect. (Nothing wrong with that as each to their own unfortunately most of these think they have some sort of magic ears and deride others who don’t fall for the placebo effect)

A proper enthusiast will fall into 2 camps, either going for a close as possible to the original sound, and those that go for something that sounds great, (Nothing wrong with either) they can normally be identified by those that use additional equipment (A DAW for example) to get the sound like real, or those that stay clear and stick to basics for the sound they want, in both cases they take care with the equipment they choose and just sit back and enjoy the music, keeping their chosen equipment (No matter what price level) for years (Which also means they don’t waste money on nonsense) only changing when something that really changes the game (And their enjoyment) comes along. (The same applies to home cinema, although usually occurs quicker as new formats come out, something Hi-Fi users don’t have to contend with)

Bill

Oxfordian

I have no idea what an audiophile is, my guess would be someone who love his music.

How that person listens to and what they listen on is irrelevant, it’s all about us getting enjoyment out of the sources that we have.

My ongoing project of revitalising my system will cost me a good few pounds, now compared to some what I will spend is a massive sum yet compared to others it is a drop in the ocean, so it’s not how much you spend it’s about getting a sound that my ears like and one that I can enjoy for a good few hours on a variety of different music styles.

It is interesting to hear about the latest tech, and products that may or may not improve our sound, and chatting these ideas through with our local dealers, like-minded friends and on forums to see if they have benefit.

We are all different, there is no right or wrong listening to music, the key is to enjoy the sound.

AJM1981

Why wouldn't you want music to sound as convincing as possible? That's when it moves you the most.

Point, and if one enjoys this.. I am happy with that.

But tailoring a system around some specific music is a little trap in being satisfied or never satisfied. If I build a system that emulates the experience of a live recording of one concert really well, it does not mean that a second live recording delivers the same. Let alone studio recordings. Practical example; horns and the kind of music one feeds them.

D

Deleted member 2457

There is something at the top level audiophiles "club" which I hope most of us will never dive into.

I have been for a long time wondering what would drive people to invest loads and loads in a setup scathering out all different components and keep tinkering. But recently watching a clip online made it quite clear. They want to emulate a band instead and say "it is just like someone / a band is playing right here". And that is why they get tribal if someone starts about an opinion about just speakers.

In parallel ways people craft out formula 1 car simulators to the finest details instead of going to a race track. And I get this to some extend in other hobbies but in audio I find this search for an uncanny holy grail a little weird.
Yes, that’s why I have done it. My music Blu-rays live concerts dominate my system. I listen to them in DTS Master Audio and other high quality recordings which is where the true quality of the music comes from in the home cinema world. I rarely watch a movie.

Reactions: Al ears

Friesiansam

A proper enthusiast will fall into 2 camps, either going for a close as possible to the original sound, and those that go for something that sounds great
Well, I'm definitely in the latter camp. I want my music to sound as good as I can get it, according to my personal preference. It's why I don't bother with reviews that focus on measurements.

AJM1981

Yes, that’s why I have done it. My music Blu-rays live concerts dominate my system. I listen to them in DTS Master Audio and other high quality recordings which is where the true quality of the music comes from in the home cinema world. I rarely watch a movie.

Fair enough but I don't consider buying high quality audio alone as something that fits the description.

Point, and if one enjoys this.. I am happy with that.

But tailoring a system around some specific music is a little trap in being satisfied or never satisfied. If I build a system that emulates the experience of a live recording of one concert really well, it does not mean that a second live recording delivers the same. Let alone studio recordings. Practical example; horns and the kind of music one feeds them.

I think a system capable of producing one recording well has a better chance of doing so with other material - and it feels like you are changing your question.

Ideally, a decent Hifi transports you to the venue. Obviously, with a studio created artefact there never was a venue as such, just individual mic feeds and a mixing desk.
If it sounds like the performers are in your room it has failed imo!

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
More or less

A practical example. People who buy certain records by let's say Dire Straits because it fuels their system well instead of buying it because they like the band.

If it boosts Mark Knopfler's bank balance, helping him keep producing fantastic music, and touring, then I don't care why people buy the albums!!
That has to be one hell of a compliment though. Although, the current thinking is that as far as quality recordings go, his recent stuff is the stuff to be held as a benchmark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts