Is Dual CS5000 to Dual CS518 A Worthwhile Upgrade?

JohnIOW

Jun 23, 2024
Visit site
Currently my system comprises of a DUAL CS 000 turntable, owned since bought new in the late 1980s, with Goldring G1042. Amplifier is Marantz KI Pearl Lite, loudspeakers Q Acoustics 5040. Generally happy with system, and turntable competes well even with SACD/CDs played through my Marantz UD7007 universal player. However, the Dual CS5000 is beginning to show signs of age, such as intermittent connection when changing headshells (requiring a quick squirt of electrical cleaner); but still sounds excellent to my ears. Music tastes include Heavy Metal, Country, Classical, and Light Instrumental.

Am considering the new Dual CS618Q turntable. I like the direct drive quicker start up, and having 78 speed is a must (separate Grado 78E cartridge used for these, so swappable headshell is another must).

Plan to swop over existing cartridges to the new turntable, but given the four-figure sum would hope for an audible improvement rather than simply a sideways 'upgrade' or even worse a backward step. Would the Dual CS 618Q be a worthwhile 'upgrade' from the Dual CS5000?

Last edited:

daytona600

Old Dual made in germany
21st century Dual badge stuck to a chinese made deck
Dual Rekkord still made in dual factory in germany
CS618Q Made in china , stick with your old german made one
Rekkord made in germany - get one of these

78rpm with detachable headhell for your grado#
Pro-Ject Debut PRO S , made in europe not in china

Last edited:

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi John, Dual is today more lifestyle product than hifi, even they are attractive nice machines. I recommend to include turntables from Project or Rega into your selection proces. TT like Rega Planar 3 with Goldring 1042 will fit well into your hifi system.

Reactions: JohnIOW

JohnIOW

Jun 23, 2024
Visit site
Many thanks daytona600 & Integralista for your thoughts and suggestions. I am getting the impression that the Dual CS618Q would be more a backward step than my old and trusty Dual CS5000 - a shame manufacturing taken out of Germany, albeit at least the Dual name lives on. A refurbished and serviced CS5000 tone arm just came up on eBay for just £49, so have ordered one to (likely) resolve the intermittent connection problems when changing headshells; that together with a good service should do in the short term. Will certainly look at the Project, Rega, & Rekkord options for the longer future.

Reactions: Integralista

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts