Is driving 4 ohm speakers with Yamaha 1065 receiver a problem?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
This thread may prompt differences of opinion, based on what I've read online. However, here goes...

I'm seriously considering buying a Dali Suite 2.8 speaker package, which would be run through my (only reasonably well ventilated) Yamaha 1065 receiver.

Obviously the Yam is going to have to work harder to drive the 4ohm Dali package, perhaps dangerously so. It would clearly be a catastrophe to blow either receiver or speakers as a consequence of combining this equipment. Not to mention the fact that I don't know how well the Yam and Dali package would compliment each other sonically?

It's one of those potentially risky purchases that you're tempted to make because the price of the Dali package seems an absolute steal at £500 and the limited number of online reviews are very complimentary indeed. I'd have to travel a huge distance to audition these speakers; and I'm obviously nervous about the possibility of my amp blowing due to overheating, should I take the plunge.

If any highly tech-minded forum member or WHF staff can offer advice here it would be hugely appreciated...

Thanks one & all.

A

Anonymous

emotion-10.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Two things from the Yamaha manual:

1) Use speakers with an impedance of 6-ohm or larger. Set speaker impedance in the advanced setup menu before connecting the speakers (page 64). You can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers when you set "SP IMP." to "6OMIN".

2) Minimum RMS Output Power for Front, Center, Surround, Surround back
20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 8 O...................................... 105 W

Dynamic Power (IHF)
Front Speakers 8/6/4/2 O ................................ 140/175/205/250 W

Maximum Output Power [Europe, Russia and Asia models]
1 kHz, 0.7% THD, 4 O ........................................................ 155 W

In other words, the manual reckons at least the front channel amps are up to the job, and as they'll be working the hardest, I think you'll get away with it with no problems. But I'd suggest a precautionary call to Yamaha UK (assuming you're in the UK) would be in order before you take the plunge - contact details here

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:Should that be confused rather than embarressed, Max? I'm unlikely to do anything unless fully reassured I won't encounter problems!
actually , if they are suited , you will have a cracking system for the money , were you on to sevenoaks ? i wouldnt have thought they have many left , seeing as the rears are a different colour ...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Two things from the Yamaha manual:

1) Use speakers with an impedance of 6-ohm or larger. Set speaker impedance in the advanced setup menu before connecting the speakers (page 64). You can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers when you set "SP IMP." to "6OMIN".

2) Minimum RMS Output Power for Front, Center, Surround, Surround back
20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 8 O...................................... 105 W

Dynamic Power (IHF)
Front Speakers 8/6/4/2 O ................................ 140/175/205/250 W

Maximum Output Power [Europe, Russia and Asia models]
1 kHz, 0.7% THD, 4 O ........................................................ 155 W

In other words, the manual reckons at least the front channel amps are up to the job, and as they'll be working the hardest, I think you'll get away with it with no problems. But I'd suggest a precautionary call to Yamaha UK (assuming you're in the UK) would be in order before you take the plunge - contact details here

Very helpful Andrew, hugely appreciated!

I'll contact Yamaha and see what they have to say.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn:strapped for cash:Should that be confused rather than embarressed, Max? I'm unlikely to do anything unless fully reassured I won't encounter problems!
actually , if they are suited , you will have a cracking system for the money , were you on to sevenoaks ? i wouldnt have thought they have many left , seeing as the rears are a different colour ...

Based on what they told me, the limited stock of rears is Sevenoaks' only problem with selling the Dali Suite package as a whole (minus a sub, of course), so presumably they hold larger numbers of the main and centre speakers.

The question of how these would match my receiver tonally remains a risk, however. Effectively I'd be partnering a warm sounding receiver with warm sounding speakers, which obviously goes against conventional wisdom...

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:
maxflinn:strapped for cash:Should that be confused rather than embarressed, Max? I'm unlikely to do anything unless fully reassured I won't encounter problems!

Based on what they told me, the limited stock of rears is Sevenoaks' only problem with selling the Dali Suite package as a whole (minus a sub, of course), so presumably they hold larger numbers of the main and centre speakers.

The question of how these would match my receiver tonally remains a risk, however. Effectively I'd be partnering a warm sounding receiver with warm sounding speakers, which obviously goes against conventional wisdom...

hmmm , hopefully someone with the dalis and a yam picks this up , ill start a thread on another forum , try and dig up a little info
emotion-21.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, the official line from Yamaha is that it should be fine for movies, perhaps slightly more risky with music, if run to relatively high volume levels. In other words, pretty reassuring, as the system will be used predominantly for watching movies anyway.

Not entirely sure where this leaves me -- a little pondering to do before I finally decide whether to take the plunge, I guess...

Can't imagine I'm going to get five speakers of this calibre for £550 anywhere else, unless there are suggestions?

Many thanks Andrew/Max for your help.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

strapped , just bear one thing in mind , your yamaha has preouts , to connect to a stereo amplifier , now i know your not thinking of that now , but down the road , you could easily pick up a cheap 2nd hand one , probably for less than £100 , connect up those big dalis , and your music will sound fantastic , even through your bluray player , much better than through your yam , as i had set up for a while ....

you wont get anything like the sound from some small budget speakers like those on the boston accoustic system for example , many experienced hifi geeks on here are delighted with their dalis for music , a nice bonus ???

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
True, the only issue I have with that is that I don't have the cabinet space to accomodate another piece of equipment.

It's a great call in principle, but my not particularly large living room is already looking a tad overcrowded. Another rack would tip things over the edge, I think...

One other thing, I just checked and the rears are 8 ohm speakers, while the mains and centre are 4. I'm guessing this would help matters, but not sure how I should set the receiver up? Presumably this would remain as Andrew advised, above?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd usually recommend receivers in the £1,000 region or more for 4ohm speakers.

One thing you could do, which I think should be done anyway, is set all speakers to small. That way the amplifier doesn't have to deal with too much bass regarding the front speakers, which is the main area (although not exclusively) where 4ohms becomes an issue.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the post. That's what's making me a touch nervous -- in my clamour to upgrade to relatively high-end speakers, am I allowing my enthusiasm to cloud my judgement? Setting all speakers to small sounds like a sensible precautionary measure, but as I'm not running a sub in the interests of neighbour relations, the whole set-up might sound a touch lean...

The need for caution partnering this kit is the primary obstacle to my jumping fully on board. Yamaha sounded pretty confident over the phone, but offered no guarantees.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Appreciate the advice...
emotion-21.gif

Option 2 is wait, save, and go for the B&W 685 Theatre package. I'll get there in the end. Just like to be certain about my choice before clicking on buy!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, might be an option Max. And at least you can attest that the MA package works well with a Yamaha receiver.

Just heard back from Sevenoaks, who said they still have a few Suite packages in stock, so takes the pressure off and gives me some time to think it through. I'm leaning heavily in the Dali direction. Just need to summon up the courage (and the rest of the cash) to go for it.

Cheers guys!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts