Is Dolby Atmos Worth Waiting For?

MattG

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my current cinema setup which at present consists of a Toshiba SD-520E DVD Player (12 years old) and a Yamaha DSP-AX640SE AV Amplifier (12 years old) and on my list is the Sony BDP-S7200 and the Sony STRDN1050. My question is is it worth waiting for AV Receivers to have Dobly Atmos processing on them as all initial reviews say that it is excellant though i'm doubtful as to how much more of an improvement it will make in a small living room over just a standard 5.1 setup?

There is no doubt that Atmos will be a significant improvement over 5.1. Check this:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/i-heard-atmos-first-time-wow

However, with Auro 3D as well as upcoming DTS UHD, it may be better to wait as to which one will be more successful, as they all have different speaker placements. I have committed myself to Atmos as my system build is happening now.

MattG

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I was considering just going for a speaker package with upward firing speakers as opposed to ceiling mounted ones, seems a lot effort to put speakers in the ceiling though we are looking to have the living room ceiling over boarded soon. I presume ceiling mounted will be much better?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts