Is AUX IN amplified?

Amad3U5

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So I'm thinking of buying a turntable. I have an old Philips reciever, however it does not have a phono input. So I thought that I could connect my TT with a preamp, then connect the preamp to the AUX/CDR input of the reciever. I just wanted to ask whether AUX amplifies or only accepts a line-level signal.

Would this work, or do I need to shell out on anothe reciever or a seperate amp?

Thank you very much in advance.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Amad3U5 said:
So I'm thinking of buying a turntable. I have an old Philips reciever, however it does not have a phono input. So I thought that I could connect my TT with a preamp, then connect the preamp to the AUX/CDR input of the reciever. I just wanted to ask whether AUX amplifies or only accepts a line-level signal.

I don't really understand what you're asking, if the pre-amp you're going to use has a phono stage then you'll putting a line-level signal into the AUX input anyway, so there's no issue. You just need to ensure that you have a phono stage (that's all you need to buy incidentally, I don't see the point of having a separate pre-amp just for the TT if you're attaching it to a receiver).

Amad3U5

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I don't see the point of having a separate pre-amp just for the TT if you're attaching it to a receiver.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but believe I need a preamp because my receiver does not have a phono input, therefore I need to implement the RIAA equalisation using an external preamp. The latter outputs a line-level (unamplified) signal, so my question was: do I need an amplifier or will my receiver do the job for me.

Sorry if I'm making silly mistakes; I'm quite new to the whole vinyl business.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Amad3U5 said:
The_Lhc said:
I don't see the point of having a separate pre-amp just for the TT if you're attaching it to a receiver.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but believe I need a preamp because my receiver does not have a phono input, therefore I need to implement the RIAA equalisation using an external preamp. The latter outputs a line-level (unamplified) signal, so my question was: do I need an amplifier or will my receiver do the job for me.

As I said, all you need is a phono stage, a pre-amp usually implies multiple inputs for a number of sources, volume control, etc etc but you have all that on your receiver already, so a simple phono stage will do the job, plug the output into the AUX in and you're good to go.

Amad3U5

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Amad3U5 said:
The_Lhc said:

As I said, all you need is a phono stage, a pre-amp usually implies multiple inputs for a number of sources, volume control, etc etc but you have all that on your receiver already, so a simple phono stage will do the job, plug the output into the AUX in and you're good to go.

Okay—thanks for clearing that up for me.

TRENDING THREADS