Question Is a high-res player as good as a CD player of identical price?

joelmahabir

Jan 30, 2021
Visit site
I've always used CD players where I can program the tracks and the player can remember the order for future plays, similar to a play list. Philips had the Favourite Track Selection and Sony the Program Bank facility. I cannot find a CD player that can do this now.

I am attracted to the Hi-Res players, not for the high resolution but the ability to reproduce my track selection of an album, a playlist, as well as being able to store standard CD's, equivalent to a CD hard drive which are no longer being made.

The question I have is would a hi-res player, costing say £500 for example, have the same quality as a £500 CD player, playing the same type of recording: standard CD's.

Gray

I've always used CD players where I can program the tracks and the player can remember the order for future plays, similar to a play list. Philips had the Favourite Track Selection and Sony the Program Bank facility. I cannot find a CD player that can do this now.

I am attracted to the Hi-Res players, not for the high resolution but the ability to reproduce my track selection of an album, a playlist, as well as being able to store standard CD's, equivalent to a CD hard drive which are no longer being made.

The question I have is would a hi-res player, costing say £500 for example, have the same quality as a £500 CD player, playing the same type of recording: standard CD's.
FTS was a great thing (I've still got a Philips model with it) so much better than the standard offering.

To answer your question about streaming quality:
The right choice of streamer / DAC could match or better the CDP.

I've got a streaming setup to play FLACs of my CDs.
Total cost under £200.
It used to sound about the same as a (good) £500 CDP that I own.
Since changing its DAC (from one decent £100 model to another) it now sounds a bit better than the CDP.

Just like a CDP, a streamer is (arguably) only as good as its built-in or standalone DAC.

Last edited:

Mr D

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
The very top of this list of post says "introduce yourself" I think you may get more replies if you copied the text and started the question in a more relevant part of the site. Here everyone who has been around may not look and so you could miss the answer you want.

The very top of this list of post says "introduce yourself" I think you may get more replies if you copied the text and started the question in a more relevant part of the site. Here everyone who has been around may not look and so you could miss the answer you want.
There is nothing wrong with where he has placed it otherwise I might have moved it.

FTS was a great thing (I've still got a Philips model with it) so much better than the standard offering.

To answer your question about streaming quality:
The right choice of streamer / DAC could match or better the CDP.

I've got a streaming setup to play FLACs of my CDs.
Total cost under £200.
It used to sound about the same as a (good) £500 CDP that I own.
Since changing its DAC (from one decent £100 model to another) it now sounds a bit better than the CDP.

Just like a CDP, a streamer is (arguably) only as good as its built-in or standalone DAC.
it is difficult to answer unless he amplifies what he means by hi res player.
presumably he means a portable DMP but who knows.....

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts