Is 7.1 worth it?

MadDog*1

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

Thinking of my first system, possibly 7.1 but wondering would it be worth the expense buying into the larger system as the vast amount of movies are produced in 5.1 audio?

Was in HMV today browising through the Blu Rays and only came across one movie, Oblivion in 7.1 audio. (I'm sure there are a few more out there)

Cheers!

Room size is roughly 5m x 3.5m.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi MadDog

Whether you go for either a 5.1 or a full 7.1 setup is up to you in the end but in my opinion a 7.1 system will give you a great room filling sound experience. Only thing, will the room that your system be in used for anything else or just for watching films etc.

I personally have had a 7.1 system for the last seven years and wouldn't go back to just a 5.1.

In answer to your last question, yes there are not as many blu-rays encoded with 7.1 sound but more will come out, its like everything, in the future we may even get blu-rays with 9.1 and 11.1 hd audio on them.

hope this gives you something to think about.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
As.mac suggests u need the room to benefit. Not only size, which yours probably is but layout & acoustics. In my lounge, which is smaller and really its a lounge not a cinema room, 7.1 has little benefit. Quite a few bds do have 7.1 now. I would say if u can set up all your speakersw in the ideal thx position in some space then give it a go. Or try it with some cheap rears as an experiment.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I am running a simpler 7.1 setup with Wharfedale DX-1 speakers (7 nos) and the subwoofer with Marantz SR6006. I was very thrilled initially and heard the effects steer through the room and was pretty happy with the set up.

However with 5.1 sources, it is pretty useless and the surround effects even in 5.1 set up are not that mind blowing all the time.

This experience boils down to several things

1. I am not a fan of 3D technology, especially with passive/active glasses. My TV supports 3D and I watched some 3D movies, but the effort is not worth it. I feel the same (if not to the same magnitude) about 7.1 set ups. You need two extra speakers, cabling, an amp capable of doing this and in the end it might just fizzle out

2. Room & set up - May be my set up is not done the right way and I am missing the point.

I had never done any demo of properly set up 7.1 set up. Since my amp is capable and the additional two speakers were not too pricey as well as I used standard copper wire, I went with the set up of 7.1

But, if I have to advice, I suggest you take a proper thorough demo of 5.1 / 7.1 set up. Also, during the demo try to use the content which are not good examples of surround effects. Good examples will blow your expectations high, but IMO all 5.1 material does not have same amount of surround effect awesomeness. Also try to experience the phantom effects that can be simulated by the receiver for two channel content.

As, I said surround effects might not have the pulling potential to all audience. And there are more factors like Room, Set up etc, as mentioned earlier by other members, play a significant role.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The quick answer is yes, it tends to work best if you have a wide space between the surround speakers. Adding post processing to get 5.1 into 7.1 works well. I tend to spec jobs in 7.1 for larger rooms where the rears a more spaced out rather than small narrow rooms at the back.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Our main demo room is about 5m x 5m, and works fantastically well with just 5.1. We have added 7.1 to it recently, and while it has made a difference, I wouldn't say it was so massive that it is a 'must have'. The extra speakers will work better in more heavily furnished rooms where a lot of sound gets absorbed.

If you have a long thin room and you're firing down that long length, side and rear spekers will work well - less so if you're firing across the shorter length.

There is a bit of debate going on on another forum at the moment as to whether forcing 7.1 from a 5.1 reduces DTS-MA and True HD down to core DTS and DD, which might be owrth following. I have always watched 5.1 films in 5.1, as forcing them to 7.1 has always changed the sound of the front LCR, which I have never liked, so maybe there's some truth in it...

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless I missed it, nobody has said whether they are doing 7.1 with front height or surround back/side?

I seem to remember on a previous thread many saying that front height made more of a difference than an extra surround pair of speakers.

In my room (4m wide by 5m long) with the speakers firing down the 5m - my listening seating is about one metre from the back wall with the surrounds (BXFX) fixed to the walls either side. So I'm still not sure whether to fit another set of BXFX's on the back wall behind the seating or fit front height speakers?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi jonathonRD

No you haven't missed it, but I think the whole issue of whether you run a 7.1 system with either front height or back surround is down to a few things, one being do you have the space for extra speakers either on the back wall or high above the front left and right. I suspect most people with systems in a normal living room don't.

If your not sure whether you want to run front heights or back surrounds, can you borrow a pair of speakers to find out which setup will be best for you.

happy listening.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
macdiddy said:
Hi jonathonRD No you haven't missed it, but I think the whole issue of whether you run a 7.1 system with either front height or back surround is down to a few things, one being do you have the space for extra speakers either on the back wall or high above the front left and right. I suspect most people with systems in a normal living room don't. If your not sure whether you want to run front heights or back surrounds, can you borrow a pair of speakers to find out which setup will be best for you. happy listening.

My music/HC room is not our main living room. It is in our 4 yr old extension and was built partly with music/HC in mind - so I have no restrictions for placement.

I'm not sure whether my dealer would have speakers for me to try (haven't thought of asking).

I had some money for my birthday so I am itching to spend it - it's enough for either a set of BX1's or another set of BXFX's (plus cables).

Or I might keep it for a bigger purchase? :?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a 9.1 system in a room that is about 4m x 4m, including two surround rears and two front heights (though the front heights are small Boston Acoustics cubes.

Whilst most blu-rays only have 5.1, there are some that have 7.1 (Toy Story etc).
However, I find that using the "Extended Stereo" setting on my Pioneer receiver produces great room filling sound, especially on the rainy sounds etc.

If your room and budget can take it, then worth it.

buzz_lightclick

DandyCobalt said:
I have a 9.1 system in a room that is about 4m x 4m, including two surround rears and two front heights (though the front heights are small Boston Acoustics cubes. Whilst most blu-rays only have 5.1, there are some that have 7.1 (Toy Story etc). However, I find that using the "Extended Stereo" setting on my Pioneer receiver produces great room filling sound, especially on the rainy sounds etc. If your room and budget can take it, then worth it.

I believe the "Extended Stereo" setting on Pioneer receivers gives you stereo sound from your rear speakers (as well as your fronts) as opposed to stereo sound only from the fronts. It gives the impression of a boost in volume and the sound fills in much louder and fuller behind you, but I'm not sure it is true to how the original soundtrack is intended to be heard.

wj731

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
There is a bit of debate going on on another forum at the moment as to whether forcing 7.1 from a 5.1 reduces DTS-MA and True HD down to core DTS and DD, which might be owrth following.

Hi David,

Please could you share the link. Would be interested to read.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
wj731 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
There is a bit of debate going on on another forum at the moment as to whether forcing 7.1 from a 5.1 reduces DTS-MA and True HD down to core DTS and DD, which might be owrth following.

Hi David,

Please could you share the link. Would be interested to read.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

+1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts