ipod Classic volume issues

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
What hi-fi have given the ipod Classic a 5 star review. However i've read some reviews which say that there has beena volume restriction imposed on the player and that it isn't loud enough. Anyone own a Clasic who could shed some light on this.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a classic, which is a few years old. I have to say I find the highest volume a little bit low, especially when I use larger headphones. Not so much an issue when using my in-ear phones.

My wifes iPhone 3gs is much much louder.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have a iPod video 30gig and a couple yes ago I found a program on google called gopod which I installed. Took 30secs and connected iPod started program which shows a padlock! Click on it then padlock shows it's unlocked! Voala, my iPod is extremely loud, not sure if program still around.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for your responses. I decided to go for it with the Classic 160gb and bought one this morning. Copied a couple of cd's across and gave it a test in the office and outside with some traffic noise. Using my Sennheiser CX300 II in-ear phones, i can conclude that the player is definately loud enough for me. Played it at nowhere near full volume and i could hear no background noise at all.

Now the task of filling it with my collection of nearly 900 albums !!!

I have a copy of everything which was on my old mp3 player in 64 kbps wma format, so to get me up and running as quickly as possible with my ipod i've used iTunes to copy and convert everything to 256 kbps AAC format (default setting).

However i will now need to think about doing individual copies of my cd's to the ipod, as a 256 kbps AAC file copied from original source, must be of a better quality than a 256 kbps AAC file converted from a 64kbps wma file mustn't it ???

Could someone confirm this as i don't want to be wasting hours of my time re-copying everything into my itunes library if i'm not going to get any benefit.

Cheers

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
I've recently left the armed forces where I had my hearing tested every six months. My left ear beats the test hands-down while my right ear struggles to pick up the very highest frequencies at the lowest volume in the test. All in all, my hearing was described as "almost perfect". I find my 80gb Classic to be a little on the quiet side when using over-ear headphones (Denon AHD1001). With my Denon C551's it's better but I can still hear ambient noise, especially onboard aircraft, and I fly a lot.

I think the better your hearing, the more chance you'll find them to be too quiet, purely because you'll be able to hear the ambient noise more readily than someone you who has less sensitive ears. The fact you can hear ambient noise over the music "tricks" your mind into thinking that the music is less loud.

My son has an IPod Touch and it is much louder especially with the over-ear cans. If I remember correctly, Gopod aren't around any more and therefore have not updated their software to include the recent iterations of the classic. I'm going to buy a Fiio E1 headphone amp instead. £15 well spent, apparently.

Gary.

A

Anonymous

Up converting a music file doesn't work. You cannot add back in information that has already been taken out during compression. It's not like a zip file. If you have the hard drive space rip your music in aac lossless then do a convert to 256 for use in your ipod. That way you'll have a high quality backup with no need to rip again.

I wish I'd had done that to start with. now I have some which is only in 256 and, some lossless and 256. I'm going to have to re rip loads of cds in lossless.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
NSYGrinner:
If you have the hard drive space rip your music in aac lossless then do a convert to 256 for use in your ipod. That way you'll have a high quality backup with no need to rip again.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion on the quality of the 256 kbps files i've converted from my old .wma's.

What you've suggested above is what i have planned. I've recently bought a 500 gig external drive to back up my cd's in lossless. I've made a start but it's all a bit time consuming, but once i get all of my cd's done i'll then add them to my ipod as 256 kbps.

I just wanted to get my new 'Classic' up and running, hence me using the converted .wma's as a temporary measure.

Cheers

rymidd

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
i heard ipod classic and it will be to low with some ear phones, i have the touch which is louder. can not understand why they limit the volume on the classic and not the touch. if you what a player like the classic but without the volume issues get the old 5g ipod video if you can find one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts