iPhone as a Sonos / Spotify Controller

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys I have asked this question in the Hifi section with no replies, so thought I would try here as well.

Having recently sold my CD player, to be replaced with a Sonos Bridge and ZP90 to stream music to my hifi (a NAS will be added at a later date) I was wondering if anyone uses their iPhone as a controller for either Spotify or Sonos to stream music to their system.

How does the screen on the iPhone handle the controllers...are they easy to read, navigate, understand etc. I have the option of using my iPhone 4 to do this or wondering if I should opt for an iPad (although it will only really be used as a controller) and dont really want to spend the money unless I really have to.

Cheers

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Works fine for me. I actually have the iPhone, iPad and CR200!

iPad is visually very impressive, but the iPhone copes just as well. The screen is the same size as the CR200 so there is little difference.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah Iphone works fine. Slightly laggy in terms of response compared to the CR200 but this isn't really a bit issue. Just be aware that you need to make sure that you need wi-fi in whatever area you want to control your sonos. I've similar to Lee H in that I have Iphone, Ipad, CR200 along with the CR100. Being honest the CR200 is my favourite controller but an Iphone (or Ipod Touch) is more than acceptable.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use the iPhone app and also have a CR200.

The iPhone works perfectly well and the screens are well laid out. Personally I do prefer using the CR200 to the iPhone it is just a slightly better experience, whether that slightly better experience is worth the £224 outlay for a CR200....probably not.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys......

Just found out I cant upgrade my phone to the iPhone till December (although good news is the iPhone5 should be out then). I looked at the CR200 controller but in honesty I can get a 32gb WiFi and 3G iPad for £44.00 on my current business contract.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy at the moment, which I use Spotify Premium on and I know they do a Sonos Application which is probably just the same as / good as the iPhone one.....so could also use that until upgrade time.

Sounds like all options....Samsung Galaxy S, iPhone or iPad will be adequate and perfect for the requirement.

Once again Cheers.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Probably should have also added that the misses has a Galaxy Ace with the android Sonos app on and IMO it is nowhere near as good as the iPhone one. To me like most of the android based software it just looks homebrew.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Probably should have also added that the misses has a Galaxy Ace with the android Sonos app on and IMO it is nowhere near as good as the iPhone one. To me like most of the android based software it just looks homebrew.

What are you talking about? It looks exactly the same!

It IS missing a few features at the moment but that was no different to the iPhone app which took a few iteration before everything was added to it.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
http://www.sonos.com/system/

Look at the image of all the controllers together, the one at the front is the CR200, behind that is the Android app, behind that the iPhone, they're near as dammit identical.

Are you sure she's not using Andronos?
Listen The_Lhc, I'm not really interested in your waffle but I should expand as reading between the lines appears to allude you, look feel and usability of the apps.

I have used all three and IMO they are ranked in order 1) CR200 2) Iphone app (just behind) and 3) Android app (some margin behind the above two) of course others may have a different experience.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
On phone/pad based apps you get to use the superior keyboard to the CR200, but lose a smidgeon of response time (and it uses your own wi-fi rather than the mesh net). With the CR200, response is quicker, keyboard is woeful and it uses the mesh network.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
http://www.sonos.com/system/

Look at the image of all the controllers together, the one at the front is the CR200, behind that is the Android app, behind that the iPhone, they're near as dammit identical.

Are you sure she's not using Andronos?
Listen The_Lhc, I'm not really interested in your waffle but I should expand as reading between the lines appears to allude you,

That doesn't make sense.

look feel and usability of the apps.

I have used all three and IMO they are ranked in order 1) CR200 2) Iphone app (just behind) and 3) Android app (some margin behind the above two) of course others may have a different experience.

And that's fine, I've used all three as well and wouldn't argue too much with your expanded explanation (although the hardware volumes buttons on the Android app are better than the iPhone's option) but saying the Android controller looks "homebrew" is still nonsense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts