IPAD UK Pricing revealed ! Who want One?

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Apple today revealed the UK ipad pricing

16GB £429.00
32GB £499.00
64GB £599.00

You can buy a nice laptop for that sort of money, which is flash compliant, has got a nice camera, multitasking, can you access your NAS, can run word processors and do full-hd multimedia tasks!

For me it's way to expensive not worth the money, I will await for second round of pricing.

A

Anonymous

why would u want one?

- Too big for a portable device

- Not powerful enough to replace a laptop.

- Useless for browsing internet as it doesnt support flash

- Doesnt support many popular music/video formats.

Wait a couple of months for an android based system with an open source media player like vlc to arrive. I dont understand anyone who buys an apple product when they only mostly support their own proprietry and expensive formats.

It really bugs me when I see an apple media player being given 5/5 when it hardly supports any formats. Lack of wide format support should be an instant 1 star lost at least.

A

Anonymous

That is a very high price for what it is. Your right, you could get a well spec'd laptop for that.

Saying that though, watch them fly off the shelves....

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I would buy it if it had:
- multitasking (so I can surf internet while controlling a hifi/music server/TV)
- infrared eye to work as a hi-end remote (infrared+wifi)
- digital out via a dock and higher stoage capacity (128gig and more, to be usable as a server)
- front facing camera for skype video calls

Until then - not interested.

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ:
I would buy it if it had:
- multitasking (so I can surf internet whileÿcontrolling a hifi/music server/TV)
- infrared eye to work as a hi-end remote (infrared+wifi)
- digital out via a dock andÿhigher stoage capacity (128gig and more, to be usable as a server)
- front facing camera for skype video calls

Until then - not interested.

...and for making best use of that extra functionality an attached physical keyboard would be a major step forward, no?ÿ

Simply no room in my life (and no cash in my wallet, more to the point) for a gadget which isn't either properly portable or a proper computer. I'm not anti-Apple, but the afficionados have now had a good few months since the first Apple announcement to come up with compelling answers to the question "why?", and as yet...no cigar.

On the bright side, at least you'd never again lose your remote control, as it's nearly the same size as the telly.
emotion-1.gif

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
We're thinking of getting one. I've got a 17" MacBook Pro that I use for work but hate to use for casual surfing at home. I mainly use my iPhone for that. My wife gets precious little time to get on her facebook and email and often prefers to do that while she sits on the sofa watching her Neighbours. Because of this we're looking at either an iPad or a second-hand Macbook for her and, to be honest, the iPad is looking the better option. My Aunt got one for my 86 year-old grandmother a few weeks ago in the US and, after two previous attempts to get my Gran onto a computer that ended disastrously, she's gotten straight into it and loves it.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
I was very cynical about the ipad but have totally changed my mind. I was recently in the U.S and got the chance to play with one. It is like a much bigger ipod touch. The touch keypad is superb and i can see myself using it to surf the web, do e-mails, read books etc etc.

But the Uk pricing is too high. In the U.S it is much cheaper and sits in the middle of the price range ie between iphone and mac book. But in the UK this is putting it near a laptop range.

It would be useless for work purposes, it is more of a lifestyle product - like much of Apple and I am an Apple fan.

I couldn't buy one in the U.S as they ahve sold out.

It will sell in milllions.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
NigelF: 16GB £429.00

The US equivalent is £333. EDITED BY MODS

Plus VAT that comes to £391. Not that huge a difference in price, just £38. US prices never include any form of sales tax. If we didn't have to pay 17.5% VAT on everything prices would be a lot lower on lots of things.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
chudleighpaul:To be honest, I would't buy any Apple product. IMHO they are overrated, overpriced and in some cases the build quality is flimsy to say the least

Well that's a completely unbiased statement from someone who obviously has extensive experience owning, using, and repairing their products.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, fantastic machine! I was so impressed I bought a Macbook.

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
chudleighpaul:Just wait till you have to replace the battery in just over a years time. £90 up your shirt!

You really do need to be better informed. I have owned several iPods over the years for many years and never had to replace a battery. Despite what you say in this comment and the previous, my experience of Apple products has been a good one and the build quality is up with the best of them.

And before you say I am a fanboy, I also own a couple of PC's and work with PC's.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't really matter what we actually think about the ipad and there are a lot of people that just don't see the point of it but how many of us buy with our heads or buy with our hearts . Its going to sell like hot cakes

and whoever says apple products are not up to scratch is so wrong , Yes there first generation products seem always flawed by something but apple do always correct it in the following generation products, and just wait there are going to be many more tablets being released now by other manufactures

A

Anonymous

It's quite amazing the level of fervour stoked by the release of a very limited product. I've played with one and it's like holding half a macbook, complete with shiny screen which attracts fingerprints and reflects like crazy. And of course, all those extras like carry cases and non-reflective screen covers are extra. As does using it over 3G. It's also notable they are selling an external keyboard for it too - doesn't inspire confidence in the touchscreen version does it?

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Firstly I'll say I'm no Apple fan boy and when the wife said she wanted one months back I was less than enthusiastic.

Well we went for a 32Gb Wifi version. First impressions is that its a nice piece of kit, but it does has its limitations. It says what it does on the tin.

I'd say its a luxury item and no one definately needs one!

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
brendonw: It says what it does on the tin.

Well that's all well and good but does it do what it says on the tin?
emotion-1.gif

emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

I have no desire to have an iPad but why all the moaning? If you dont want one don't buy it. Do you really need your expensive hifi? No! You bought it because you want it. End of.

TRENDING THREADS