iPad Media Applications

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody!

I have recently received an iPad as a gift and think it's an amazing piece of kit...though frequently find myself wishing it was as versatile as a laptop when I hit the brickwall of being limited to the use of apps.

I have a NAS server containing a digital music collection and a few dvds I have converted to digital format. Does anyone know of a good app I can get which will allow me to access this media, ideally without having to go through the painstaking process of uploading everything to a third party website such as Sugarsync or storing it all on my iPad to watch through iTunes?

Thanks.

John Duncan

Various ways to do it:

- iTunes server running on your NAS will allow you to share the library on your iPad.
- Airfoil Speakers allows you to transmit whatever's playing on your PC to the iPad.
- I haven't worked out what Airplay is yet, so don't know if the iPad's Airplay-enabled (but you'd think it would be).
- Simplifymedia

That's for starters, I'm sure I could think of some more.

scene

JohnDuncan:Various ways to do it:

- iTunes server running on your NAS will allow you to share the library on your iPad.
Excuse me for butting in.

Does this mean you can access the tunes on you NAS-based iTunes server from your iPad? If so, how do you do this, or is it just by having the PC that synchs with your iPad access the NAS-based music?

John Duncan

Use iTunes on an iPad and it will connect to a shared library on a NAS running iTunes server or another PC or Mac. It's a bit rubbish though - doesn't support album art for starters (or playlists AFAICR, but has been a while).

John Duncan

Although having said all that, since I only had an iPad for a couple of nights - does it actually run iTunes (as in full fat iTunes)? Hmm...(drums fingers on chin and worries he may be a t-t)

scene

JohnDuncan:Although having said all that, since I only had an iPad for a couple of nights - does it actually run iTunes (as in full fat iTunes)? Hmm...(drums fingers on chin and worries he may be a t-t)
It has an app called "iPod"' which looks like iTunes light. It does have playlists, but no setup or config options that I can see...

scene

JohnDuncan:Am researching shared library behaviour with iPad...
Thanks. Just checked, iPad does have iTunes, but this only gives access to online store for downloads. So sort of split personality, with a download bit split from a player. Hmmm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts